Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 18.8 updated to v19 by itself, and emptied the movie library
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm pretty shellshocked at the moment. I had a Kodi 19 alpha installed separately in portable mode for HDR movies and a v18.8 Leia for other movies with a very specific setup, and it worked out fine for a long time. Recently I didn't touch Kodi for a couple weeks and just now when I opened it again, it was v19.0 Matrix all of a sudden, and the library is empty, everything is gone. How is that even possible? Is there any way of even figuring out what happened here? Never in a million years would I have willingly updated the thing, my library was so expansive and used specific addons and tons of playlists, custom tags and stuff. Now it all seems to have just vanished.

I implore the wisest among you, is there anything I could do to figure this out?
Open this location  %APPDATA%\Kodi\userdata\Database\ and see if MyVideos116.db exists inside it. If it does, and there is also a MyVideos119.db as well then (without Kodi running) rename MyVideos119.db to something else and start Kodi again.  It should do the db migration again.  If you enable debug logging before you stop Kodi and rename the db, then it will capture the upgrade process in the log and if it doesn't work properly and you again end up with an empty db then put the log on a paste site and link it here and someone will take a look for you.
(2021-03-06, 17:42)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]Open this location  %APPDATA%\Kodi\userdata\Database\ and see if MyVideos116.db exists inside it. If it does, and there is also a MyVideos119.db as well then (without Kodi running) rename MyVideos119.db to something else and start Kodi again.  It should do the db migration again.  If you enable debug logging before you stop Kodi and rename the db, then it will capture the upgrade process in the log and if it doesn't work properly and you again end up with an empty db then put the log on a paste site and link it here and someone will take a look for you.
Sadly it's not there. I've got the following .db's:
ADSP0
Epg11
Epg12
Mymusic60
MyMusic72
Textures13
TV29
TV32
ViewModes6

So the only one I actually need and use is gone, then. I can't even begin to imagine what has happened...
And Kodi itself does not update itself. The only way that can happen is if you installed Kodi from the Windows Store.

The store itself will update apps unless it's configured not to do so. But by default it will be so configured, as updates are normally desirable for security reasons, aside from keeping things up to date for the latest bug fixes and new features.

The method given above should hopefully get your library etc back, but there are a number of addons for Leia that are not compatible with Matrix due to the required upgrade from Python 2 to Python 3 caused by the depreciation and stopping of support/bug&security fixes for Python 2.

In such cases if there are addons that you really can't live without that have not been updated to Python 3 by their authors, you can either communicate with those authors and ask if/when they do so, or else as a last resort you can get the Leia install files from our mirrors and install those back instead. But note that is you do, you are open to any issues/bugs that may be exposed in future in Python 2, and that certain addons may no longer be supported or updated there as their authors have moved their focus onto the Python 3 (Matrix) version.

Editted to add - if the file truly isn't there, try searching for a Windows undelete program/app and see if that can see/restore it. And I assume from your comments that you do not keep any kind of back-up of your machine's drives?
Very odd then indeed as Kodi doesn't remove old databases, just creates new ones.  Also, the new MyMusic82 for v19 is also missing from your list, along with all the other v19 db's.  That suggests to me that possibly you have installed v19 somewhere else rather than the default location.  That would create new empty databases in the new location because, in spite of MyVideos116 missing in that list of yours, so are all the db's for v19.

I think if I were you, I would be searching on my drive for a different install location.  Also, I'm unsure as to how Kodi actually managed to update itself suddenly to v19.  I wasn't aware that it could do that, unless possibly it's the Windows Store version, in which case the install location is different.

Edited to add that the UWP location is at  %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalCache\Roaming\Kodi\ so look in the userdata\Database folder in there.
Thanks for the support. We did some digging and found out via photo evidence that the last time we watched a movie with Kodi was on February 18th, which is the same date as in the "compiled" section of current version info. I'm pretty sure I didn't lose my mind and start moving around databases and updating Kodi after watching the movie because my friends were there the whole night so they probably would've stopped me had I tried, lol. I wonder what the hell it means.

Anyways I searched through my drives for the .db's and found Myvideos116 & Myvideos107 in Documents/userdata/Database. There was nothing else in the folder either. No idea how they ended up there, nor do I know if these are the "right" ones. How should I go about trying to restore the library with these?
(2021-03-06, 19:29)hapanpappa Wrote: [ -> ]How should I go about trying to restore the library with these?

Search your drive and find MyVideos119.  This is the video db for v19.  Once you find it, copy MyVideos116.db into that location and rename MyVideos119.db to something else.  Then start v19 and it should tell you that database migration is in progress and update your video db to the new version.  Make sure you copy rather than move.