Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Setting up a Windows PC to connect with my NAS Database
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I have a running Kodi 19 Database on my NAS with MySQL. I access it with a Raspberry Pi 4, and a Odroid C2.
Now I want to access it with my Windows PC. At this Windows PC, the NAS is mounted as Drive X:\
In my Database (MyVideos119) every movie has a path like this at column c22:

smb://AGENTSNAS/Daten/Movies/Back to the Future (1985).mkv

and some like this (Don't know what the difference ist):

stack://smb://AGENTSNAS/Daten/Movies/Back to the Future (1985).mkv

So I installed Kodi 19 on my Windows PC, added the "advancedsettings.xml" with the same IP and Port as on the Raspberry Pi and Odroid C2.
In the "sources.xml" I added:

<name>Movies</name>
<path pathversion="1">smb://AGENTSNAS/Daten/Movies/</path>
<allowsharing>true</allowsharing>

and

<name>Series</name>
<path pathversion="1">smb://AGENTSNAS/Daten/Series/</path>

Now I can access every Movie and play it, so far everything works fine.

When I want to update my Library in Kodi on the Windows PC it starts to add every movie new to the Database, with the following path at c22:

X:\Movies\Back to the Future (1985).mkv

And when I want to clean my Library it wants to delete every entry in my Database.

I don't understand what I did wrong with my setup.

Greetings
Wolfgang
I would do away with the local mapped drive as this is what's likely causing you issues. Add your shares using the "smb://" network path to your sources.xml, directly to the NAS and be happy with that. Since the local PC will have to access the network share for the content anyway, your not really gaining anything by defining it on the local PC (in terms of network speed). remove any instances of:

Code:
stack://smb://AGENTSNAS/Daten/Movies/

from your Kodi sources list. If your NAS shares require a password / username combo, access them via Windows Explorer first, and if prompted for credentials, enter them and select the checkbox beneath to "remember" those credentials. You won't then need to specify a username / password combo within Kodi, as this has already been taken care of by the host OS.

If you want to retain the mapped drive for "Quick & Easy" Windows Explorer access (only), then do so, but for Kodi, just add the raw network shares to Kodi as sources, and be happy. The simplest idea is often the best one.

Here's the (only) entry in my sources.xml for my "Movies" folder in Kodi, as stored on the NAS:

Code:
        <source>
            <name>Live Action Films</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://NAS-DEVICE/Multimedia/Live Action Films/</path>
        </source>

Dan / Gib.
(2021-03-07, 16:20)gibxxi Wrote: [ -> ]I would do away with the local mapped drive as this is what's likely causing you issues. Add your shares using the "smb://" network path to your sources.xml, directly to the NAS and be happy with that. Since the local PC will have to access the network share for the content anyway, your not really gaining anything by defining it on the local PC (in terms of network speed). remove any instances of:

Code:
stack://smb://AGENTSNAS/Daten/Movies/

from your Kodi sources list. If your NAS shares require a password / username combo, access them via Windows Explorer first, and if prompted for credentials, enter them and select the checkbox beneath to "remember" those credentials. You won't then need to specify a username / password combo within Kodi, as this has already been taken care of by the host OS.

If you want to retain the mapped drive for "Quick & Easy" Windows Explorer access (only), then do so, but for Kodi, just add the raw network shares to Kodi as sources, and be happy. The simplest idea is often the best one.

Here's the (only) entry in my sources.xml for my "Movies" folder in Kodi, as stored on the NAS:

Code:
        <source>
            <name>Live Action Films</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://NAS-DEVICE/Multimedia/Live Action Films/</path>
        </source>

Dan / Gib.

Hello,

thanx for your help. I unmounted X:\ and now updating and cleaning library works fine.

Can you please explain what the stack:// means, cause it seems to work fine no matter if it is with stack:// or without.

Greetings
Wolfgang
(2021-03-08, 12:02)the_Agent Wrote: [ -> ]Can you please explain what the stack:// means

Stacking is when your film is split into two or more parts e.g.

my-film.cd1.avi
my-film.cd2.avi

Kodi can stack the two parts together so it plays as one item.  It's old and these days there is not much call for it.  I guess if you are not sure what it is and everything works correctly without it, that you don't need it. Smile
(2021-03-08, 13:15)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-08, 12:02)the_Agent Wrote: [ -> ]Can you please explain what the stack:// means

my-film.cd1.avi
my-film.cd2.avi

Kodi can stack the two parts together so it plays as one item.  It's old and these days there is not much call for it.  I guess if you are not sure what it is and everything works correctly without it, that you don't need it. Smile

This option (Combine Mullti-Disk Videos / Movies) can also be enabled or disabled globally in the Media Settings area.

Dan / Gib.
(2021-03-08, 20:50)gibxxi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-08, 13:15)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]

my-film.cd1.avi
my-film.cd2.avi

This option (Combine Mullti-Disk Videos / Movies) can also be enabled or disabled globally in the Media Settings area.

Dan / Gib.

Thanks guys,

it's pretty obvious, I didn't recognize this.