Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: PBS addon, revisited
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
@kodaksmith Do you know what was the issue with the thinktv thread, and why it was closed?
I was very disappointed to see that.

I wrote to PBS tech support, and while they don't want "to promote use of this addon", and they can't undertake to support it,
they didn't say that there was any legal issue.
At the risk of getting the thread unceremoniously closed, I'd like to hear a bit more background from @learningit about their response to the previous thread.  The explicit statements leave open the option for someone else to pick up the plugin or re-release it under a new title, thread, and author.  The implied message we were left with is that the original author had received direct communications from PBS legal to cease and desist.  The latter of these would surprise me greatly, as the plugin uses only the public API and doesn't do anything that can't be done via a basic web browser.

Related to this, were the changes offered by @tonywagner removed due to use of non-public APIs or bypassing authentication in some way?  If the changes weren't otherwise in violation of the forum rules, and the plugin itself is still available in the repository, why are patches to restore the plugin to a working state being deleted?

I'm really not trying to start a fight, I just don't understand what occurred. And these actions to effectively slap down all discussion or communication about the plugin without explanation raises concerns with me about an opaque decision process.
Scraping web sites/APIs can still be unauthorized, even if the sites are public. PBS and other content providers want you to use their site and apps; they likely don't want you to use Kodi. And it doesn't take much for a content provider to make things uncomfortable for a developer and Kodi in general.

What caused all of this is that a very naive user in that thread contacted PBS about officially supporting the addon. This was not a smart thing to do. PBS predictably said no and then contacted the developer, and I don't blame the developer for shutting it down and refusing to comment on it further. Nothing good could come from it.

If someone else wants to take up the torch of another PBS addon, there is nothing stopping them. But users need to be smarter about it.
I have been in touch with the naive user.  He now understands that the situation could be more delicate than he thought.
Nevertheless, he thinks @virmitio is making a good point: the plugin really doesn't do anything more than a web browser can do.
Doesn't matter what we think. FWIW, while Kodi acts like a web browser for the end-user, the content provider is using their website and app to promote other content, subscriptions, track engagement, etc.

Kodi is and will continue to be an unauthorized viewing platform for content providers, almost universally. Enjoy it for what it is, and don't bring any more unwanted attention onto Kodi or its valuable volunteer developers.
So is the addon effectively dead then?
Is there a way for the user to fix it locally in their own install?
I love the add on and would love to know if there is a way to fix it locally…
This PBS addon playing LiveTV (no VOD) works well.