Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Creating a timer does not match any program in TV Guide
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

Using Kodi 19 and latest TVHeadend client I'm having problem when timer is added from TV Search.

The search has found multiple programs "Show name here (7)" but when I add timer for this nothing is matched for recording. I believe this is because matching is using regexp and ( and ) characters are problematic? If I change title in timer to "Show name here" it matches OK.

I also have this problem with duplicate detection when using show description rule, duplicates are not filtered maybe because of special characters in description?
How exactly do you add the timer (there are several ways) and what kind of timer exactly?
(2021-03-20, 15:23)ksooo Wrote: [ -> ]How exactly do you add the timer (there are several ways) and what kind of timer exactly?

TV Guide Search -> Search results has multiple items of "Show name here (7)" -> Long press pops up dialog, choose "Add timer"

Now timer has settings

Name "Show name here (7)"
Search guide for "Show name here (7)"

a) If I don't touch timer settings and just click OK nothing is scheduled
b) If I edit Name and Search guide for "Show name here (7)" -> "Show name here" I get multiple schedules

I would expect this work by name that is picked by default and no need for editing
(2021-03-20, 16:11)Koder123 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-20, 15:23)ksooo Wrote: [ -> ]How exactly do you add the timer (there are several ways) and what kind of timer exactly?

TV Guide Search -> Search results has multiple items of "Show name here (7)" -> Long press pops up dialog, choose "Add timer"

Now timer has settings

b) If I edit Name and Search guide for "Show name here (7)" -> "Show name here" I get multiple schedules

I would expect this work by name that is picked by default and no need for editing

Ah, so you are creating a series recording (aka timer rule). Could be a regex thing, then. I will see what can be done. Most probably a change in the tvheadend Kodi PVR add-on is needed.
(2021-03-21, 11:00)ksooo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-20, 16:11)Koder123 Wrote: [ -> ]

Now timer has settings

Ah, so you are creating a series recording (aka timer rule). Could be a regex thing, then. I will see what can be done. Most probably a change in the tvheadend Kodi PVR add-on is needed.
Thanks for looking in to this, let me know if you need more information.

Another problem I found when using exactly same procedure to create "timer rule" is if rule settings are Name "Show name" and Search guide for "Show name" this creates timers for programs "Show name" but _also_ for "Show name Extra".

This is not something I expected and of course also related to matching logic, I don't mind unnecessary recordings but would be nice to avoid this.
(2021-03-21, 11:52)Koder123 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-21, 11:00)ksooo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-20, 16:11)Koder123 Wrote: [ -> ]TV Guide Search -> Search results has multiple items of "Show name here (7)" -> Long press pops up dialog, choose "Add timer"

Now timer has settings

Another problem I found when using exactly same procedure to create "timer rule" is if rule settings are Name "Show name" and Search guide for "Show name" this creates timers for programs "Show name" but _also_ for "Show name Extra".

This is not something I expected and of course also related to matching logic, I don't mind unnecessary recordings but would be nice to avoid this.

The add-on just hands the search string over to tvheadend, where all matching is done. Nothing the add-on can do about. As a user, you could enter the proper regex in Kodi.
(2021-03-21, 15:06)ksooo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-21, 11:52)Koder123 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-21, 11:00)ksooo Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, so you are creating a series recording (aka timer rule). Could be a regex thing, then. I will see what can be done. Most probably a change in the tvheadend Kodi PVR add-on is needed.

The add-on just hands the search string over to tvheadend, where all matching is done. Nothing the add-on can do about. As a user, you could enter the proper regex in Kodi.

Well I don't think that (average) user should care about regexp matching done in backend, I certainly won't be typing any regexps with my remote. Now the add-on obviously supports regexp which also brings these problems, but it could also modify search string before passing it to backend and for example

1) Provide an advanced option to do regexp match and do exact by default
2) Provide an option to do exact match and leave default as is
3) "Force" exact and do not support regexp

Agreed TVHeadend maybe is not first choice of average user, I think by default it should work like I describe in earlier posts, and consider regexp matching advanced feature.
(2021-03-21, 17:37)Koder123 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-21, 15:06)ksooo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-21, 11:52)Koder123 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for looking in to this, let me know if you need more information.

Well I don't think that (average) user should care about regexp matching done in backend, I certainly won't be typing any regexps with my remote. Now the add-on obviously supports regexp which also brings these problems, but it could also modify search string before passing it to backend and for example

Agreed TVHeadend maybe is not first choice of average user, I think by default it should work like I describe in earlier posts, and consider regexp matching advanced feature.

Sounds good. I will see what I can do.
(2021-03-21, 21:23)ksooo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-21, 17:37)Koder123 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-21, 15:06)ksooo Wrote: [ -> ]The add-on just hands the search string over to tvheadend, where all matching is done. Nothing the add-on can do about. As a user, you could enter the proper regex in Kodi.

https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.hts/pull/501

I took option 1)
(2021-03-22, 19:01)ksooo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-21, 21:23)ksooo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-21, 17:37)Koder123 Wrote: [ -> ]Well I don't think that (average) user should care about regexp matching done in backend, I certainly won't be typing any regexps with my remote. Now the add-on obviously supports regexp which also brings these problems, but it could also modify search string before passing it to backend and for example

I took option 1)
Nice job, looks good & thanks for a quick fix.

I took look at the code, if I understood correctly this solves problem 1) where title "Show name (7)" is escaped "Show name \(7\)". But not sure if this solves problem 2) "exact" matching where "Show name" also matches "Show name Extra". I think it would require something like "^Show name$" to be passed to backend?
(2021-03-22, 21:58)Koder123 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-22, 19:01)ksooo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-21, 21:23)ksooo Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds good. I will see what I can do.

I took option 1)

I took look at the code, if I understood correctly this solves problem 1) where title "Show name (7)" is escaped "Show name \(7\)". But not sure if this solves problem 2) "exact" matching where "Show name" also matches "Show name Extra". I think it would require something like "^Show name$" to be passed to backend?

Correct, it only covers case 1) and this is all I wanted to achieve at the moment.

BTW: I don't consider this a fix because there was no bug. It is a new feature.
(2021-03-22, 22:15)ksooo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-22, 21:58)Koder123 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-22, 19:01)ksooo Wrote: [ -> ]https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.hts/pull/501

I took option 1)

Correct, it only covers case 1) and this is all I wanted to achieve at the moment.

BTW: I don't consider this a fix because there was no bug. It is a new feature.
Thanks again, I've tested the new released version and works perfect for case 1)