Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Stutter on Raspberry Pi 3 B+
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since 2014 I've run various version of OSMC on various models of Raspberry Pi. The Pi is connected to a TV in the spare room, and is only used occasionally. Since late 2018 I've been using a Raspberry Pi 3 B+, which is hard-wired into my network and uses the original Raspberry Pi power supply.

After a long period of inactivity, I recently decided to update OSMC to the latest version, using the in-built updater. After that, any live TV or recordings are not playing well, i.e. play for a few seconds, then buffering, and so on. I wasn't sure whether this was OSMC related, so I also installed LibreELEC on a separate micro-SD card. Both OSMC and LibreELEC are based on Kodi v18.9. I'm experiencing the same issue in LibreELEC, so I suspect it is Kodi-related. I've not had these stuttering issues in the past, but unfortunately I don't know which version of Kodi I was on previously.

The MediaPortal PVR client connects to a dedicated MediaPortal TV Server (v1.27.0) on my network, which has MediaPortal TVServer plugin for Kodi v1.22.0.142 installed. As a test, I also tried MediaPortal v2.3.2 with the plugin for Kodi v1.23.0.144, but that made no difference.

I've posted a debug log from the Raspberry Pi here, playing a recording through the MediaPortal PVR client which stutters, followed by playing the same recording through Videos (mapped network share), which plays fine without stutters. Also, for some reason, the PVR client is unable to 'jump' to the last played time when opening the recording, while that works fine through Videos.

In order to test the throughput of the network connection between the MP TV Server and the Pi, I used iperf3, and the results were as expected ~240Mbits/sec, i.e. more than enough for playing live tv and/or recordings. I also tested Kodi v18.9 on a Windows 10 laptop with the MediaPortal PVR client, and the recording plays fine on there, both through the PVR client and Videos.

Any thoughts or feedback on this issue would be much appreciated, thank you.