Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Coaching in Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Would someone be kind enough to help me with some one-2-one coaching/ tutoring via text, email or phone? I just need help on getting started, I'm no techie, but quick to learn. I need someone to help me find my way round. Previously Kodi was set-up for me on Android, but its become out-of-date & I need help to up-grade & learn how to install Addons. I'm already a donator & willing to continue as & where required.
Your best place to start is the wiki - look at some of the links in my signature below to get you going.
(2021-04-03, 15:44)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]Your best place to start is the wiki - look at some of the links in my signature below to get you going.
Darren thank you so much for your helpful reply.

However I need to explain, I'm old, I daren't say by how much, but if I say that I glaze over when reading (all but the shortest of instruction) manuals, that might best describe (what you might see) as an affliction. My inannate inabilty to easily learn from reading long stickies & tutorials, especially from a flickering screen can in your world be descibed as a disabilty!

However being in an inertactive 2-way WhatsApp phone conversation, or even by text, keeps me alert, allowing me to learn fairly quickly. Specifically it allows me to gain any needed qualification to complex answers.

If you, or someone reading this is willing to spare even 10 minutes maybe 2/3 times a week (less after set-up) I would find such communication FANTASTIC! I know I would learn fast & be responsive to such coaching. I of course don't expect you, or anyone else to help me for love. So I would be prepared to cover your costs, or alternatively make a contribution to a charity of you choice?

I offer my thanks in advance for your kind response to assist this old geezer!  (P.S. If you would prefer to PM me, then please tell me how to achieve that status here.)
well, KODI is not that difficult for basic setup. A few screenshots and you are done. But for any kind of help wee need to know on which device you run KODI and where is you media. And what kind of media, video or audio. Drive plugged directly to the device is really 5min job. Networking on the other hand might be veeeeery difficult even over video call.
This was set-up by a very advanced Techie, who's now unable to maintain my 2 versions of Kodi. 
In order to answer your questions on my current set-up, please read the following: -

Currently I have Kodi running on 2 devices, which are already set-up on my home network. 
Firstly on an aging - WETEK.core. tuner.

Secondly is an equally aging - Intel NUC DN2820FYK Processor.

The Wetek is running under LibreELECT (official) 9.0.2 (kernel: Linux 3.10.108)
Version info Build Kodi 18.2 Git: 18.2-Leia
Compiled: 2019-15-04

The NUC is running under LibreELECT (official) 9.2.6 (kernel: Linux 5.1.16)
Version info Build Kodi 18.9.0) Git: 18.9-Leia
Compiled: 2019-15-04

I'm using several normal Addons, please let me know specifically what other media or audio info. you need?

Thanks again for your help. 
so......what do you want actually? Changing a devices or just wanna update KODI? The one on NUC is pretty much what many still use because a lot of addons are not compatible with v19. Have zero experience with libreELEC so no idea where to find update options.
For addons, it is really easy as long as you stay with official ones. This should help https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on_manager
Which addons are you actually talking about, specifically?

As to updating LE - it's simplest done through the built-in LibreElec configuration addon that is installed by default along with Kodi inside LE.
(2021-04-04, 22:29)kinggo Wrote: [ -> ]so......what do you want actually? Changing a devices or just wanna update KODI? The one on NUC is pretty much what many still use because a lot of addons are not compatible with v19. Have zero experience with libreELEC so no idea where to find update options.
For addons, it is really easy as long as you stay with official ones. This should help https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on_manager
 Thanks for your post. It's a pity you're not familiar with Libre ELECT. Hopefully I'll get help on this from an experienced techie. 
Thanks for the Addons link. I'll see if I can make any sense of it.
(2021-04-04, 22:39)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]Which addons are you actually talking about, specifically?

As to updating LE - it's simplest done through the built-in LibreElec configuration addon that is installed by default along with Kodi inside LE.

Hi Darren thanks for your post.

I've checked, the banned Addon list & I'm pleased to state that none of the Addons I'm using are listed there. I'll be pleased to list all the Addons in a PM, if you will kindly allow/upgrade me to use this status/ facilty. 

Having read your comment on LE (assuming you mean Libre E) I checked my settings to find that some how on the Wetek the 'Auto Updates' function had been turned off! As soon as I turned this on & rebooted my Kodi has updated & looking far healthier.

I'm now deciding on whether to scrap my Wetek & buy another 'Z8' receiver. I would therefore like to learn how to installed & customise Kodi to the same, or similar level, so some one2one coaching using WhatsApp/ Signal would be fab!