Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Keymapping and navigation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm not sure if this can be done....or maybe I'm just missing something. Is it possible to set keymaps for each level of the directory structure? Huh

An example of what I'm trying to do is this - I go into Pictures, then into album ---> sub-album ---> pictures. Now I want to navigate back up the structure so I have my "exit" button on the remote mapped to parentdir - this takes me back up from sub-album ---> album ---> pictures....Now here's where I'd like to have the "exit" button perform a previousmenu instead of the parentdir. This way it would take me straight back to the home menu instead of back through the file menu that shows the Pictures sources and Add source menus.

On a related note, if this is possible, how would I go about making the Movies and TV Show libraries use different keymappings? Movies goes directly in to the movies so it would only need "exit" mapped to previousmenu, but TV shows goes several layers down with each show\seasons\episodes so it would need the same scenario as pictures.

I hope this made sense.... LaughOo
Anyone?
bump
Honestly dude...2 bumps in <24hrs? Patience is a virtue and all that bs...

I don't use XBMC as an image viewer and I can't make a damn bit of sense of what you're trying to do here (could be why no one has responded in this ridiculously long time period since you first posed the question). I do know that there's no way to set keymap on a "per directory" basis. However, even a passing glance at keymap.xml would reveal that keys can be mapped on a per category level (falling back on the "global" section if undefined). Keymap.xml is quite well documented so maybe have a look at it? Also may want to look at the "rootovershoot" advancedsetting, I dunno if it's what you're trying to do or not.
Normal netiquette is to wait at least 24-hours before bumping a thread Rolleyes see http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Forum_F...conduct.3F
Sorry guys....got a little overzealous in my bumping.

Al - I guess my post was a little confusing, ok a lot confusing. I am actually modifying the keymap.xml and have also tried using the "rootovershoot" with no luck.
Let me try again with explaining this - I go into my music library which has artists set as the default - I choose an artist, then an album, then a song. Now with the keyboard, I can use backspace (parentdir) to go back to the album view, then backspace again to get back to the artists and then here I would hit esc (previousmenu) to get back to my main screen. If I had continued to hit backspace from that point, it would continue back through the genre/year/etc screen and sources screen before getting back to the main menu. I'm just trying to find any way to avoid those screens while using my harmony remote. I know I could use 2 separate keys, but I was just looking for a way to do it with a single one.

Again, sorry for the bumping.....I do know better.
AFAIK this behavior has always been done with two buttons, I can't really think of a way to implement it where you wouldn't get locked out of the high levels of the hierarchy. Not to mention it would be VERY unintuitive.

EDIT: Doesn't that remote have like 60 buttons anyway? :p
althekiller Wrote:EDIT: Doesn't that remote have like 60 buttons anyway? :p

Haha ya....and every time I change one I'm afraid my wife is going to beat me in my sleep. Thanks for the info. I'll just keep working on the other areas of my keymap project.
so, is all you want to do is map a button to go back to the source listing of the current media window? there is "Go To Root" in the context menu which does this. i don't believe its keymappable right now, but it could be done.
keymapping is a pretty rough issue around here. Some one that know what they are doing should right keymapping basics how-to. It be great to see something like that in the manual.
its a two stage process for remotes used natively. first the remote buttons need to be mapped to known xbmc button names. this is what lircmap.xml and irssmap.xml do. then the xbmc button names are mapped to actions in keymap.xml.

if you use an external app to translate remote and/or gamepad buttons to keyboard buttons, then you dont need to worry about that first step, and only have to configure the keyboard section in keymap.xml.

this bit should be pretty straightforward. theres a global section which is the defaults, and then window specific sections which override the global. <key>action</key>

for the keyboard, the keys are just letters. and the actions are here:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Keymap.xml