Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New Apple TV 4K w/A12 Chip & Redesigned Remote
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Has anyone tried KodiDV playback on the Apple TV 4k?
(2021-05-28, 14:11)Vlaves Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-05-28, 01:50)fede01_8 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you need one of these to watch Apple Original series? I don't own any of iDevice

The Apple TV+ App is available also on Android. With TV+ App you can watch Apple Original Series. Hope that helps. Link to Play Store
Unfortunately not on Android TV however. It has been hinted at, but hasn't yet been released. The sideloaded APK doesn't work either. Now officially available!
Works on latest GCC with android tv..
GCC is the exception I think. Doesn't work on nVidia Shield TV.
Apple TV+ is now available on Nvidia Shield.
And Philips tv 🙌🤩
for the Apple TV everyone should also check Infuse...

it features a custom player that is much more advanced then MrMc and produces better colors.
also it plays back Dolby Vision Content (while MrMc has serious problems atm)
Does Kodi do hdr on appletv4k?
(2021-06-09, 03:36)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]Does Kodi do hdr on appletv4k?

Kodi is pretty unworkable on Apple TV 4K unless you have a paid-for developer account that allows it to be installed for more than 7 days.  With a free account you can only side-load apps from Xcode for 7 days AIUI.

MrMC is a fork of Kodi with non-App Store compliant stuff removed (mainly Python add-ons - though PVR add-ons are included in MrMC as binaries) - and that does HDR10 replay.  However, last time I checked, I think the static HDR10 metadata sent over HDMI is fixed rather than reflecting that of the file being played (Max and Frame Average light level metadata that can help rendering on certain displays isn't correctly sent) - though this may have changed. (How much of an impact this makes on your playback will depend on your display.  If you have a restricted HDR display like a projector, that makes a lot of use of metadata-driven tone-mapping, then it may be an issue. If you have a FALD LCD or OLED, maybe less so)

You may find better advice in the iOS/tvOS section of this forum, or for MrMC - at the MrMC forums.
I'm curious - if you _do_ have a developer account (which is only $99/yr, so not a massive expense...) - how well does Kodi actually work on the Apple TV 4K?  E.g. HDR, Sound formats, Python support etc?  Not withstanding the install hassle - is it actually a good platform for Kodi (vs. say Coreleec / Odroid N2 )

Because if it is a good Kodi box, that seems like a pretty good solution, if you can deal with the $99/yr side of things, anyway.
(2021-06-09, 11:11)bossanova808 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm curious - if you _do_ have a developer account (which is only $99/yr, so not a massive expense...) - how well does Kodi actually work on the Apple TV 4K?  E.g. HDR, Sound formats, Python support etc?  Not withstanding the install hassle - is it actually a good platform for Kodi (vs. say Coreleec / Odroid N2 )

Because if it is a good Kodi box, that seems like a pretty good solution, if you can deal with the $99/yr side of things, anyway.

I don’t think it does. I have kodi sideloaded on my appletv 4k and the HDR flag on my tv never comes on for 4k HDR files.
(2021-06-09, 11:11)bossanova808 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm curious - if you _do_ have a developer account (which is only $99/yr, so not a massive expense...) - how well does Kodi actually work on the Apple TV 4K?  E.g. HDR, Sound formats, Python support etc?  Not withstanding the install hassle - is it actually a good platform for Kodi (vs. say Coreleec / Odroid N2 )

In Sound format terms - the Apple TV 4K (either version) doesn't support bit streaming of HD Audio formats like Dolby True HD, DTS HD Master Audio etc., you have to decode them to LPCM 5.1/7.1 (losing metadata). Streaming services that use Dolby Digital + with Atmos work OK, but Dolby True HD with Atmos won't play with Atmos on the platform AIUI.
Too bad given such a powerful processor, but of course ATV was never designed for local media BD/UHD rips.
(2021-06-09, 18:53)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]

In Sound format terms - the Apple TV 4K (either version) doesn't support bit streaming of HD Audio formats like Dolby True HD, DTS HD Master Audio etc., you have to decode them to LPCM 5.1/7.1 (losing metadata). Streaming services that use Dolby Digital + with Atmos work OK, but Dolby True HD with Atmos won't play with Atmos on the platform AIUI.

I am quite ok with LPCM, but at least get HDR working on it. I think bit streaming is over rated. What percentage of Kodi users have surround sound/a/v receiver setups? What about rooms where you don’t have surround sound but you do have an ultraHD TV (because they are so cheap now). I just put one in the basement. That’s just me. I would love it if we can get better video capability with LPCM
Well, I have a receiver/amp (Denon X2700h) but I have found Kodi's pass through a bit hit and miss, to be honest, so I decode as a matter of choice.  With passthrough i will sometimes experience no sound or wonky sound (e.g. vocals through eh sub woofer) and then I have to change...everyone hates me fiddling with things in the flow of the evening so I just gave up on it (I note some PRs on github look to be addressing some of these things actually).  Anyway, given I have only 5.1 speakers, I don't think I'm losing anything of functional importance there, personally.  But the lack of HDR would definitely be a loss.  I've been enjoying HDR with the Coreelec/N2 setup, which I have to say is (generally) just super reliable as a player. 

But I just wondered, for those that want to use Apps (not so much me personally, but family and friends would like a 1 box solution....) - whether the AppleTV might be a go.  But doesn't sound like it really, unfortunately.  Of course there are other apps, Infuse etc, as an option....but I've got a 10+ year pretty deep Kodi habit, so personally I am not going anywhere...
Pages: 1 2 3 4