Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Build a webinterface
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I am nearly new to the KODI Add-on development, but I wrote an Add-on in the last few days and it's working pretty good.
Now I want to add a webinterface to control the Add-on and/or give some input into the Add-on via webinterface (1. step) and via iOS-App (2. step).
I have something like the Hyperion-App for iOS in mind. Has someone realized this? Is there a easy possibility to do this in KODI Add-ons?

Thanks.

M4tRiX
I suspect it's possible, but it's likely to be a fair amount of work.  Kodi has a general web interface, but I don't think there's anyway to tie add-on control into that.  So your add-on would have to have a service component that would activate a web/api server of some sort, listen on a specific port (preferably not any of the ones Kodi uses), and then have all the request/response logic built into it. You'd also be responsible for all the security for that too.  I think the YouTube add-on has a really basic web server in it that is activated when someone needs to enter their Google API keys, so you might look at that to see what they did.
Since Python has plenty of tools for building web apps it's totally possible and I have some experience with it. First, you need a Python application server (a WSGI server). For simple scenarios Python's built-in wsgiref server will be enough. You need to make sure that your server correctly shuts down when Kodi exits. Second, you need a web application framework. There are plenty of them in Python but, again, for simple scenarios bottle is quite good and it is included in the Kodi addon repo as a library addon. One of advantages of bottle that it is self-contained and does not have any dependencies except for Python standard library. Here is an example of a simple Python web application based on bottle that can be implemented as a Kodi service addon: https://gist.github.com/romanvm/e1be0503...d1befbb020
(2021-04-23, 09:38)Roman_V_M Wrote: [ -> ]Since Python has plenty of tools for building web apps it's totally possible and I have some experience with it. First, you need a Python application server (a WSGI server). For simple scenarios Python's built-in wsgiref server will be enough. You need to make sure that your server correctly shuts down when Kodi exits. Second, you need a web application framework. There are plenty of them in Python but, again, for simple scenarios bottle is quite good and it is included in the Kodi addon repo as a library addon. One of advantages of bottle that it is self-contained and does not have any dependencies except for Python standard library. Here is an example of a simple Python web application based on bottle that can be implemented as a Kodi service addon: https://gist.github.com/romanvm/e1be0503...d1befbb020

Hi Roman_V_M, thanks for your Feedback. I will check out „bottle“.
Quick questions because I couldn‘t find this in Google. How should I start? I have already a „Addon“, can I expand the Addon.xml with an extension point?
Do I have to install bottle in Kodi as an extra plugin?

Thank you!
Maybe this will help https://github.com/tamland/kodi-flask-demo , if your using kodi 19, u would have to update it to python 3
(2021-04-24, 09:17)Sidewinder_2011 Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe this will help https://github.com/tamland/kodi-flask-demo , if your using kodi 19, u would have to update it to python 3
Yeap this is one of the best ways to do it since it won't require yet another webserver/service running on the target device (which is really important for embedded/low powered devices). An add-on can have multiple extension points. So if your add-on define a main plugin extension point but also a web interface one (similar to this project) it will automatically be exposed to kodi's webserver even if the default webinterface is provided by other add-on (e.g. chorus2). The only drawback is the fact the user has to enable the webserver in Kodi settings.
@M4tRiX You can add a service extension point to your addon.xml. And you need to add script.module.bottle as a dependency.

@enen92 Yes, I know that Kodi has a built-in WSGI server but I don't know if it is used in real projects so I'm not completely sure that it is implemented correctly (and adapted to Python 3/PEP-3333 for Matrix). wsgiref is a safe bet for simple scenarios.
Hi everybody,

quick update on this.
So I was able to setup the extension point and the website will be displayed if I run "python app.py" manually via ssh. How can I start this on startup?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<addon id="test.pluign" name="Test" version="1.0.7" provider-name="Plugin">
    <requires>
        <import addon="xbmc.python" version="2.14.0"/>
        <import addon="xbmc.json" version="6.0.0"/>
        <import addon="xbmc.webinterface" version="1.0.0"/>
    </requires>
    <extension point="xbmc.webinterface" type="wsgi" library="app.py" entry="app" start="startup"/>
    <extension point="xbmc.python.pluginsource" library="addon.py">
        <provides>executable</provides>
    </extension>
    <extension point="xbmc.addon.metadata">
        <platform>linux</platform>
        <summary lang="en">Test Plugin Summary</summary>
        <description lang="en">Test Plugin</description>
        <license>GNU General Public License, v2</license>
        <language></language>
        <forum>nothing</forum>
        <source>nothing</source>
        <email>nothing</email>
    </extension>
</addon>

One more thing...
As you can see I have the addon.py in this file there some functions I want to call with the input of the app.py (flask webservice). But my ways are not working and I get error messages like "ImportError: No module named xbmc". XBMC is the first thing I am importing in the addon.py.

from flask import Flask, request, render_template
from addon import TestFunction

app = Flask(__name__)

@app.route('/')
def hello_Lightymon():
    return 'Welcome to Lightymon!'

@app.route('/hello')
def my_form():
    return render_template('form.html')

@app.route('/hello', methods=['POST'])
def my_form_post():
    direction = request.form['direction']
    device = request.form['device']
    processed_text = device + " " + direction
    TestFunction(ldevice)
    return processed_text

if __name__ == '__main__':
    app.run(host="0.0.0.0", port=8000, debug=False)

Extract from the addon.py
import xbmc
import os
import sys
import xbmcaddon
import xbmcgui
import time
import subprocess
import urllib2

addon       = xbmcaddon.Addon()
addonname   = addon.getAddonInfo('name')
[...]

Any Ideas? Thank you very much.
Quick update. Got the flask running on startup via autoexec (https://kodi.wiki/view/Autoexec_Service).

But I don‘t get it how I can interact with my addonSad
As I've said above I'm not sure that Kodi's built-in WSGI server really works. The implementation as a service addon based on wsgiref server definitely works and I used it in one of my past project.
(2021-05-01, 08:20)Roman_V_M Wrote: [ -> ]As I've said above I'm not sure that Kodi's built-in WSGI server really works. The implementation as a service addon based on wsgiref server definitely works and I used it in one of my past project.
Ok, so I changed the flask part to bottle...

Can you tell me how render html.files with bottle?
In flask I used

app = Flask(__name__)
@app.route('/')
def hello_Lightymon():
return 'Welcome to Lightymon!'

@app.route('/hello')
def my_form():
return render_template('form.html')

@app.route('/hello', methods=['POST'])
def my_form_post():
direction = request.form['direction']
device = request.form['device']
processed_text = device + " " + direction TestFunction(ldevice)
return processed_text

if __name__ == '__main__':
app.run(host="0.0.0.0", port=8000, debug=False)

So how is the syntax in bottle for "render_templates" and "request.form" to get the information of this form?
Thanks!
(2021-05-01, 13:54)M4tRiX Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, so I changed the flask part to bottle...

It doesn't really matter which application framework you are using, but Bottle is self-contained while Flask have several dependencies and I'm not sure if all of them are available as Kodi library addons.

(2021-05-01, 13:54)M4tRiX Wrote: [ -> ]So how is the syntax in bottle for "render_templates" and "request.form" to get the information of this form?
Honestly, I don't remember. Bottle has quite extensive documentation and I'm sure you will find your answers there: https://bottlepy.org/docs/0.12/
BTW, you can check my old project: https://github.com/romanvm/kodi.yatp/tre...ibs/server It had a web-UI based on Bottle and some JavaScript libraries.