Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Newly Added files: no artwork displayed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I asked this a while ago and received no answers. I thought I would try again as this problem persists.  This is on a FireTV
Android 5.1.1 API Level 22 (kernel: Linux 3.10.61+)

Matrix build 19.0.0
Compiled 2021-02-18

I have an sd card installed and that's where I keep the thumbnails, etc. Plenty of room left on it (119 G)
This has worked beautifully for a year or more. A couple of months ago, when I would add new DVD's
to my NAS, the artwork for the new files didn't display.  The movie files just show a blank area. The Television
series dvds show a 'standard' icon with the name.

Everything that was there before continues to display just fine. This started under  previous version of Kodi, I upgraded
a while back hoping that would fix it but no joy.

I can run Kodi on a Windows machine on my home network and it doesn't have the same problem, so it is clearly something
unique to kodi on android.  

Happy to upload a debug file if that's necessary, there are no error messages that I can see in the logs. 

Any advice or suggestions for how to debug would be most welcome. It's very strange not to see something like "ERROR!!!"
"CAN'T READ FILE/DISPLAY IMAGE/" and still have this problem.

THanks in advance,
Scott
Yep, need the Debug Log that captures you scraping a couple of these movies.
(2021-04-29, 21:57)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]Yep, need the Debug Log that captures you scraping a couple of these movies.

Thanks Smile

https://paste.kodi.tv/daqiwinoja.kodi
The scraper is scraping your artwork. I can see both fanart and poster scraped for The Court Jester. You can check that for yourself starting on line 5436.

Your log is lettered with Unable to lookup host: 'FREENAS' errors, which may have something to do with the issue. I am guessing that the scraper is scraping the images, but unable to save them to your cache folder which I notice you have set up a Path Substitution for.

Between the errors and the path substitution I cannot see where it is going wrong, but it is not the scraper.
(2021-04-29, 23:48)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]The scraper is scraping your artwork. I can see both fanart and poster scraped for The Court Jester. You can check that for yourself starting on line 5436.

Your log is lettered with Unable to lookup host: 'FREENAS' errors, which may have something to do with the issue. I am guessing that the scraper is scraping the images, but unable to save them to your cache folder which I notice you have set up a Path Substitution for.

Between the errors and the path substitution I cannot see where it is going wrong, but it is not the scraper.

Yes, that's my point. Kodi is not reporting any errors, it's just not displaying any RECENTLY scraped artwork. It displays previously scraped artwork just fine.
FREENAS is the name of my NAS. I don't understand the NAS errors either, since kodi accesses the NAS 100% A-OK.

Somewhere, something is broken in the Android/FireTV situation.

Perhaps the skin is the problem? I don't know how to get any reporting from it. I guess it would
be somewhere in the display code?
(2021-04-29, 23:48)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]The scraper is scraping your artwork. I can see both fanart and poster scraped for The Court Jester. You can check that for yourself starting on line 5436.

Digging into this more deeply, I turned on some component-specific debugging. I have only one remapping, which is the thumbnails directory:

13501    INFO <general>: Loaded settings file from special://profile/advancedsettings.xml
2021-05-02 12:16:09.989 T:13501    INFO <general>: Contents of special://profile/advancedsettings.xml are...
                                                   <advancedsettings>
                                                     <pathsubstitution>
                                                       <substitute>
                                                         <from>special://thumbnails/</from>
                                                         <to>/storage/sdcard1/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/Thumbnails/</to>
                                                       </substitute>
                                                     </pathsubstitution>
                                                   </advancedsettings>

2021-05-02 12:16:09.990 T:13501   DEBUG <general>: Configuring path substitutions
2021-05-02 12:16:09.991 T:13501   DEBUG <general>:   Registering substitution pair:
2021-05-02 12:16:09.992 T:13501   DEBUG <general>:     From: [/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/Thumbnails/]
2021-05-02 12:16:09.992 T:13501   DEBUG <general>:     To:   [/storage/sdcard1/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/Thumbnails/]
2021-05-02 12:16:09.993 T:13501 WARNING <CSettingsManager>: missing version attribute

Also relevant seems to be the masterprofile, which I have left unchanged:

INFO <general>: special://masterprofile/ is mapped to: /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata

I don't know much about Kodi, but from reading the log file, it appears that instead of caching the artwork to the remapped thumbnails, it
is trying to cache it to the masterprofile:

DEBUG <general>: cached image 'special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/6/621aeed3.jpg' size 400x225
2021-05-02 12:20:44.745 T:534     DEBUG <general>: ffmpeg[0x5587bec680X]: [mjpeg] intra_quant_bias = 96 inter_quant_bias = 0
2021-05-02 12:20:44.745 T:537     DEBUG <general>: Caching image 'https://artworks.thetvdb.com/banners/episodes/79511/311193.jpg' to '9/99f9c5c7.jpg':
2021-05-02 12:20:44.799 T:537     DEBUG <general>: cached image 'special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/9/99f9c5c7.jpg' size 400x225

There are several of these in different contexts, none of them caching to the desired location.

Opening an adb shell and looking at the masterprofile location, there is no Thumbnails directory, no cached files, nothing.
Here's a copy from the shell

shell@sloane:/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata $ ls
Database
RssFeeds.xml
Savestates
addon_data
advancedsettings.xml
decoderfilter.xml
guisettings.xml
keymaps
library
mediasources.xml
passwords.xml
peripheral_data
playlists
profiles.xml
sources.xml
shell@sloane:/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata $

No Thumbnails directory. nor is it anywhere in this hierarchy.

It appears that Kodi still looks in the remapped thumbnails directory for artwork retrieved prior to (roughly) February 2021, but it
doesn't add anything there, or anywhere else. And despite the fact that there is no artwork actually saved anywhere, it doesn't
report an error.

Or display the artwork.

This did all work at one time and still does, partially, for reading the previously cached files. 

I have no idea if I am even on the right track here and if I am, I have no idea how to repair it. I'll leave this message here for a few days and hope to get some help,
if not, I'll repost it as a new thread.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out!
Best
Scott
(2021-05-02, 19:25)sdbsdb Wrote: [ -> ]

Digging into this more deeply, I turned on some component-specific debugging. I have only one remapping, which is the thumbnails directory:

13501    INFO <general>: Loaded settings file from special://profile/advancedsettings.xml
2021-05-02 12:16:09.989 T:13501    INFO <general>: Contents of special://profile/advancedsettings.xml are...
                                                   <advancedsettings>
                                                     <pathsubstitution>
                                                       <substitute>
                                                         <to>/storage/sdcard1/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/Thumbnails/</to>
                                                       </substitute>
                                                     </pathsubstitution>
                                                   </advancedsettings>

2021-05-02 12:16:09.990 T:13501   DEBUG <general>: Configuring path substitutions
2021-05-02 12:16:09.991 T:13501   DEBUG <general>:   Registering substitution pair:
2021-05-02 12:16:09.992 T:13501   DEBUG <general>:     From: [/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/Thumbnails/]
2021-05-02 12:16:09.992 T:13501   DEBUG <general>:     To:   [/storage/sdcard1/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/Thumbnails/]
2021-05-02 12:16:09.993 T:13501 WARNING <CSettingsManager>: missing version attribute

INFO <general>: special://masterprofile/ is mapped to: /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata

I don't know much about Kodi, but from reading the log file, it appears that instead of caching the artwork to the remapped thumbnails, it

DEBUG <general>: cached image 'special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/6/621aeed3.jpg' size 400x225
2021-05-02 12:20:44.745 T:534     DEBUG <general>: ffmpeg[0x5587bec680X]: [mjpeg] intra_quant_bias = 96 inter_quant_bias = 0
2021-05-02 12:20:44.745 T:537     DEBUG <general>: Caching image 'https://artworks.thetvdb.com/banners/episodes/79511/311193.jpg' to '9/99f9c5c7.jpg':
2021-05-02 12:20:44.799 T:537     DEBUG <general>: cached image 'special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/9/99f9c5c7.jpg' size 400x225

There are several of these in different contexts, none of them caching to the desired location.

Opening an adb shell and looking at the masterprofile location, there is no Thumbnails directory, no cached files, nothing.

shell@sloane:/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata $ ls
Database
RssFeeds.xml
Savestates
addon_data
advancedsettings.xml
decoderfilter.xml
guisettings.xml
keymaps
library
mediasources.xml
passwords.xml
peripheral_data
playlists
profiles.xml
sources.xml
shell@sloane:/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata $

It appears that Kodi still looks in the remapped thumbnails directory for artwork retrieved prior to (roughly) February 2021, but it
doesn't add anything there, or anywhere else. And despite the fact that there is no artwork actually saved anywhere, it doesn't
report an error.

Or display the artwork.

This did all work at one time and still does, partially, for reading the previously cached files. 

I have no idea if I am even on the right track here and if I am, I have no idea how to repair it. I'll leave this message here for a few days and hope to get some help,

Best
Scott

Following up on my own post, I tried the advancedsettings.xml path substation on a windows 10 machine, the same version of Kodi and it seems that Kodi does report
path substitutions as being placed in special://masterprofile/Thumbnails, no matter where they go.  I find this confusing, obviously.

However, in the windows 10 case, Kodi also reports when there is a file not found error prior to regenerating the thumbnail in the new location. There are no such reports
in the FireTV logs, as far as Kodi seems to be concerned on FireTV, the files are found and displayed. 

On the other hand, the Television Shows listings do replace the not found artwork with default pictures, so I remain completely confused as to where the problem is, whether it
is with Kodi or the FireTV Android stuff.

Once again, any help much appreciated.
(2021-05-03, 18:38)sdbsdb Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-05-02, 19:25)sdbsdb Wrote: [ -> ]

<advancedsettings>
                                                     <pathsubstitution>
                                                       <substitute>
                                                       </substitute>
                                                     </pathsubstitution>
                                                   </advancedsettings>

Database
RssFeeds.xml
Savestates
addon_data
advancedsettings.xml
decoderfilter.xml
guisettings.xml
keymaps
library
mediasources.xml
passwords.xml
peripheral_data
playlists
profiles.xml
sources.xml

report an error.

Or display the artwork.

Best
Scott

Following up on my own post, I tried the advancedsettings.xml path substation on a windows 10 machine, the same version of Kodi and it seems that Kodi does report
path substitutions as being placed in special://masterprofile/Thumbnails, no matter where they go.  I find this confusing, obviously.

However, in the windows 10 case, Kodi also reports when there is a file not found error prior to regenerating the thumbnail in the new location. There are no such reports
in the FireTV logs, as far as Kodi seems to be concerned on FireTV, the files are found and displayed. 

On the other hand, the Television Shows listings do replace the not found artwork with default pictures, so I remain completely confused as to where the problem is, whether it
is with Kodi or the FireTV Android stuff.

Once again, any help much appreciated.
Obviously talking to myself here, but here's what I did to get my artwork back.

During the night, my FireTV did a factory reset. Perhaps that means it's failing or has other issues so take that into account. I had to reinstall everything, including kodi.

Using the same path substitution as mentioned above, Kodi wasn't even able to create the Thumbnails directories or the subdirectories. I also tried moving the entire database
as detailed elsewhere, that also didn't work.

So, for the time being, I have started storing the thumbnails on a network share.  Less desirable than the sd card but that's life.

I'd still love to see this work on the sd card, so if anyone learns anything that could help, I would appreciate it.

Have a nice day Smile