Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Offset Subtitle Issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Been having real issues with downloaded subtitles (mainly from OpenSubtitles) lately.

The sync might be ok to start with and then gradually either becomes ahead or behind but no matter how I adjust the subtitle offset, the gap between audio and subtitle remains the same.  This is happening on multiple movies.

Any thoughts as to how to correct them?  I've tried other subtitle files for the same films but to no avail.  The subtitle offset just doesn't do any adjustment...

Edit:  I failed to mention this doesn't matter on which device I play this back PC, Sony Android TV, etc.
(2021-04-30, 15:45)Hairy Hippy Wrote: [ -> ]The sync might be ok to start with and then gradually either becomes ahead or behind but no matter how I adjust the subtitle offset

I think you selected a subtitle that was based on the wrong video speed 23.976 vs 24/25fps.
You could either try to find the correct subtitle file, or adjust it yourself using a subtitles tool/application.
(2021-04-30, 16:30)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-04-30, 15:45)Hairy Hippy Wrote: [ -> ]The sync might be ok to start with and then gradually either becomes ahead or behind but no matter how I adjust the subtitle offset

I think you selected a subtitle that was based on the wrong video speed 23.976 vs 24/25fps.
You could either try to find the correct subtitle file, or adjust it yourself using a subtitles tool/application.
Thank you @Klojum.  Any tool you'd recommend using in particular?

Any reason why the offset adjustment doesn't do anything at all?
(2021-04-30, 17:18)Hairy Hippy Wrote: [ -> ]

Thank you @Klojum.  Any tool you'd recommend using in particular?

I'm a Linux user, so my choice may not be helpful to you.

The offset is only a starting point, it does not reflect the step size that is implemented.
Gaupol is one such tool. There's more, but Gaupol allows you to set correct time for first and last subtitle and it will "stretch" or "squeeze" it to match your video.
So, I did some trial and error Image and found that subtitles from https://subscene.com/ are working fine Big Grin . I also think he is right, the subs from opensubs are designed for a different framerate, and hence the lags. But as a way around, you can try and find a way to manually change the time gap (like in VLC), but it's quite annoying tbh