Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Subtitles by default?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As a newby: I'm struggling with subtitles ...

What I want is that subtitles are enabled by default.

In the wiki I read:
To make Kodi turn off subtitles by default: While playing a video, bring up the on screen display and select the audio options -> Turn off "subtitles" -> scroll down and select "save as default for all videos".

So I guess turn it on and save as default for all videos would result in default on, but this is not the case.

Under Settings, Language I have set the "Preferred subtitle language" to Dutch, but would like English as second (seems there is no way to set this).
So if there is no Dutch subtitle it would automagically displays English ...

However I have no clue how to do this. The subtitles are mostly included and no need for downloading etc.

What I do now is press play, pause and than enable the correct subtitle and continue playing...

So I just wonder if there is a way ....

Thanks for any help.
I always use default setting on subtitles while packing my rips to mkv container.
(2021-05-05, 13:45)matthys70 Wrote: [ -> ]However I have no clue how to do this. The subtitles are mostly included and no need for downloading etc.

The only scenario I can think of is having Dutch external subtitles (or not) , and an English internal subtitle stream that is set as default and/or forced in the video file.
Perhaps take a look at the Language Preference Manager addon to see if that allows you to do what you want, see https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=153783 , while unfortunately Ace hasn't been around in a while to keep it up to date, looking at the last couple of pages it seems a user has updated it so it can run on v19.