Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is there any way to get rid of the freaking OSD controls?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Every program on God's green earth times them out.

Except THIS.

Why?

What purpose is there to keep the controls on and play the movie?

Sometimes we use remote. Sometimes we use something else. When we use the controls, we expect them to disappear. With this one, it does not. Sometimes you have to press BACK. And sometimes when you press BACK, it just happens that controls were about to disappear, so you are logged out of hte movie.

Jeez.
(2021-05-08, 15:54)CCrows Wrote: [ -> ]When we use the controls, we expect them to disappear.

They do disappear, but apparently not fast enough for you.

Tapping the Back button ONCE will be enough, perhaps your remote's back button is worn out a bit and now has contact problems, resulting in multiple clicks.
They do not disappear when you press OK to pause the movie. And press OK to play it. Which is how most of everyone is using their android TV remote.
(2021-05-08, 16:31)CCrows Wrote: [ -> ]They do not disappear when you press OK to pause the movie. And press OK to play it. Which is how most of everyone is using their android TV remote.
Most people would use the Play/Pause button, does your remote not have this button?
(2021-05-08, 16:37)FXB78 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-05-08, 16:31)CCrows Wrote: [ -> ]They do not disappear when you press OK to pause the movie. And press OK to play it. Which is how most of everyone is using their android TV remote.
Most people would use the Play/Pause button, does your remote not have this button?

I have not seen anyone use dedicated buttons on most remotes. Because they are at weird places. For example, in my Sony you have to travel halfway through the remote to get them. Everyone uses the wheel box to rewind, stop, forward, etc.

Regardless... why would that OSD remain there whichever way I choose to pause and play the video?
Thanks for this great software anyway. I use an addon with Kodi to use my android TV as an art gallery on my wall 24/7. But this is bugging me and I spent many hours every few years without finding a solution.

Most poeple who code Kodi probably never use it. Or they use it with 20 keyboards 50 mouses and whatnot and it doesnt matter to them one more vector of confusion, as it always is with open-source virus.

Something so simple. Disappear it when movie is playing as everyone has been doing from the dawn of TVs. If someone wants to keep it, give them an option to do so.
(2021-05-08, 16:42)CCrows Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-05-08, 16:37)FXB78 Wrote: [ -> ]

I have not seen anyone use dedicated buttons on most remotes. Because they are at weird places. For example, in my Sony you have to travel halfway through the remote to get them. Everyone uses the wheel box to rewind, stop, forward, etc.

Regardless... why would that OSD remain there whichever way I choose to pause and play the video?
I use the dedicated Play/Pause button, so everyone doesn't use the wheel box. You are making assumptions here. I would also think people using popular devices like Amazon Fire TV/Firestick would also use Play/Pause.

I don't know why the OSD remains on screen, but maybe it's because you can simply press Back to come out of it. Auto-hiding buttons also comes with it's own problems, if it was set to auto-hide people would no doubt complain about it as well!
I have no idea who you represent, but with 1811 posts, I can very easily assume you represent a very miniscule percantage of Kodi users. They don't come and write to forums.

My wife complained about this right now and hence I posted it because it has been bugging me forever as well. My friends complain about it, my brother complains about it. And many years.

Apparently you never wrote or designed software. The goal is not to create confusion by taking one action on the most crucial aspect of user interaction, and then taking another action for the same thing depending on what button are pressing.

Every media player does this the proper way whether you press OK button or PLAY button or you press your remote with your little finger, standing upside down.

There is nothing to defend here.
(2021-05-08, 18:06)CCrows Wrote: [ -> ]I have no idea who you represent, but with 1811 posts, I can very easily assume you represent a very miniscule percantage of Kodi users.
Another assumption.

(2021-05-08, 18:06)CCrows Wrote: [ -> ]Apparently you never wrote or designed software.
More assumptions

(2021-05-08, 18:06)CCrows Wrote: [ -> ]There is nothing to defend here.
There's nothing more for me to comment here, your attitude 5 posts in tells me all I need to know. I won't waste any more time. Good luck finding a solution.
It is not as if you were contributing to something. Vaya con dios.
(2021-05-08, 18:06)CCrows Wrote: [ -> ]I have no idea who you represent, but with 1811 posts, I can very easily assume you represent a very miniscule percantage of Kodi users. They don't come and write to forums.
I'm no mathematician, but at the moment 1181 is a lot more than 5... Please keep your cool and act like a guest to our forum.

(2021-05-08, 18:06)CCrows Wrote: [ -> ]My wife complained about this right now and hence I posted it because it has been bugging me forever as well. My friends complain about it, my brother complains about it. And many years.
So, many years already, forever actually, this has been a problem. But you only reported it now because the wife started complaining. Hmm..

(2021-05-08, 18:06)CCrows Wrote: [ -> ]Apparently you never wrote or designed software. The goal is not to create confusion by taking one action on the most crucial aspect of user interaction, and then taking another action for the same thing depending on what button are pressing.
And you have? Kodi is being used by millions of users worldwide. Designers and programmers that can improve our software are always welcome to participate.

(2021-05-08, 18:06)CCrows Wrote: [ -> ]Every media player does this the proper way whether you press OK button or PLAY button or you press your remote with your little finger, standing upside down.
Every media player has its own internal methods of handling user input. Kodi needs to be able to run on just about every type of hardware & software. And still you are AFAICT the very first to complain about OSD being displayed too long. So if we want to start support, we'll like at least to see a debug log (wiki) from your Kodi setup to see if anything runs differently than it should.

(2021-05-08, 18:06)CCrows Wrote: [ -> ]It is not as if you were contributing to something. Vaya con dios.
Sorry, but this is NOT your forum. If anyone is gonna need to be obnoxious, it's not gonna be you.
Tone it down, or your stay may be a very short one.
This is not a support request, this is a design error. I had same issue with many TVs and many remotes, many android versions. People I know have the same problem.

There are 4 forum topics on this problem, some going back to 2015. This forum always has the same attitude.

Why don't you just press twice on OK/ENTER button on your remote and see if the video will still keep playing while the controls are on? And do the same with PAUSE - PLAY and see if it disappears. Not rocket science.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=193780

Here is a topic with many people complaining of the same thing. Again, answers are, "Why don't you press back button, why don't you press PAUSE-PLAY..."
If you only ever use the OK button to set Play/Pause when watching something then remap the OK button to do it directly without having to use the OSD. To do this simply you can install the Keymap Editor addon found under Program addons in repo, then in addon go to Fullscreen video section then Playback, then select Play/Pause action and press your OK button when prompted, then go back the addon levels to Save the change.
Thank you  jjd-uk. Why not use the OSD? It shows useful info. The OSD shoudl disappear like it does with PAUSE - PLAY buttons.

Also you think many users have the knowledge to install an add-on (which probably will break with an update) and mess with all these to accomplish something that works stock with anything on earth?

What purpose does it serve when the OSD is on when the content is playing? Is there any legit use for this scenario? If there is, why not make PAUSE - PLAY buttons behave the same way?
Pages: 1 2 3 4