Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: v19.0/19.1 - External player not load correctly (fine in 18.9)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I have the following playercorefactory.xml in v18.9. It works perfectly.

Code:
<playercorefactory>
   <players>
     <player name="PowerDVDISO" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
       <filename>C:\Users\drand\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\PlayISO.bat</filename>
       <args>"{1}"</args>
       <hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
       <hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
       <warpcursor>topright</warpcursor>
       <forceontop>true</forceontop>
     </player>
     <player name="PowerDVDHD" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
       <filename>C:\Users\drand\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\PlayHD.bat</filename>
       <args>"{1}"</args>
     </player>
     <player name="PowerDVDHDR" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
       <filename>C:\Users\drand\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\PlayHDR.bat</filename>
       <args>"{1}"</args>
     </player>
     <player name="PowerDVD" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
       <filename>C:\Users\drand\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\PlayDVD.bat</filename>
       <args>"{1}"</args>
     </player>
     <player name="PowerDVDDVDISO" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
       <filename>C:\Users\drand\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\PlayDVDISO.bat</filename>
       <args>"{1}"</args>
     </player>
   </players>

<rules action="prepend">
     <rule video="true" player="dvdplayer">
       <rule filetypes="iso" player="PowerDVDISO">
         <rule filename=".*/My DVDs/.*" player="PowerDVDDVDISO"/>
       </rule>
       <rule filetypes="mkv" player="PowerDVDHD">
      <rule filename=".*HDR.*" player="PowerDVDHDR"/>
       </rule>
       <rule filetypes="ifo|mp4" player="PowerDVD"/>
     </rule>
   </rules>
 </playercorefactory>

After doing an in-place upgrade to either 19.0 or 19.1 PowerDVD, choosing an ISO to play, PowerDVD never loads and the Kodi window pops up again. Reinstalling 18.9 fixes it.

v18 logs - https://paste.kodi.tv/yetehicema.kodi
v19 logs - https://paste.kodi.tv/irubunugot.kodi

It seems the key line could be:
Code:
2021-05-15 23:28:05.286 T:984      INFO <general>: CExternalPlayer:: Process: Kodi cannot stay hidden for a launcher process

That only appears in the v19 log - but I have no idea why!!

Grateful for any advice.
Thanks
Andy
(2021-05-16, 12:40)powellandy Wrote: [ -> ]After doing an in-place upgrade to either 19.0 or 19.1 PowerDVD, choosing an ISO to play, PowerDVD never loads and the Kodi window pops up again. Reinstalling 18.9 fixes it.

This forum doesn't have an edit facility which seems a bit daft.

What I meant to say was in Kodi 19.0/19.1, I select a movie (that is an ISO) to play and PowerDVD never loads (like it does in v18.9) it just goes back to the Kodi window, with the taskbar superimposed (despite fullscreen being set in settings).
(2021-05-16, 12:45)powellandy Wrote: [ -> ]This forum doesn't have an edit facility which seems a bit daft.

It actually has full edit facilities, but not for newbie accounts as we get too many spammers using that method to post something innocent and then later coming back and dropping their payload via post editing.

So only accounts which have been around for a while and have posted a few times gain edit privs.
I've been having a look in some of the source files - ExternalPlayer.cpp and PlayerCoreFactory.cpp - and I can't see an obvious change that might cause this.
I'm not that proficient in C++ so grateful for thoughts.
Debug log from 18.9 (where it works) - https://paste.kodi.tv/ejuduxepum.kodi

There do seem to be some differences around how Kodi detects and handles E: (VirtualCloneDrive mounting). The .BAT file looks like this

Code:
reg add HKCU\Software\CyberLink\PowerDVD20 /v UIAudioMode /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add HKCU\Software\CyberLink\PowerDVD20 /v UIHDMIMode /t REG_DWORD /d 4 /f
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\VCDMount.exe" /d=0 %1
"C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD20\PowerDVD.exe" E:\ /LaunchProgram PowerCinema
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\VCDMount.exe" /d=0 /u

Thanks
Andy
I don't use PowerDVD, with that said this link might offer some solace over a windows forum. I would note that I do have VLC, MCP-HC, MPC-BE as external players and all function well. I should note that VLC had some hiccups until I updated to the latest fix. I'm sure you are already familiar with the External players (wiki) and noting past posts regrading PowerDVD, it would seem that Cyberlink itself might be the support forum of choice, once you get into batch files of virtual drives to circumvent the default Kodi players it would be up to the user to create his own work-round. I suggest reverting back to Kodi org player system, should there be any feature shortfalls, developers would be open to engaging and enhancing what is offered.

I doubt there is any enthusiasm for co-opting commercial software unless they open source their product. I will leave this thread open for others who may have discovered some timing loop fix, and offer advanced user solutions.

P.S. I don't see this as a bug.
(2021-05-16, 18:23)powellandy Wrote: [ -> ]Debug log from 18.9 (where it works) - https://paste.kodi.tv/ejuduxepum.kodi

There do seem to be some differences around how Kodi detects and handles E: (VirtualCloneDrive mounting). The .BAT file looks like this

Code:
reg add HKCU\Software\CyberLink\PowerDVD20 /v UIAudioMode /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add HKCU\Software\CyberLink\PowerDVD20 /v UIHDMIMode /t REG_DWORD /d 4 /f
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\VCDMount.exe" /d=0 %1
"C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD20\PowerDVD.exe" E:\ /LaunchProgram PowerCinema
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\VCDMount.exe" /d=0 /u

Thanks
Andy

Hi Andy, I have similar problem. In Kodi 18 with PowerDVD18/19 and VCD, all was fine playing my Bluray iso collection. In Kodi 19 with PowerDVD365(or PowerDVD21), the external player process stops working for powerDVD (it is fine for VLC). After a lot of frustrations and testing, I finally managed to make it work again with the following changes in the process / workflow:

1. Use PowerDVD to play iso directly instead of using VCD to mount iso first. Although VCD is faster loading iso than PowerDVD.
2. Use PDVDLP.exe instead of PowerDVD.exe. PowerDVD.exe won't start for an unknown reason.
3. Use batch file to call PDVDLP.exe instead of calling it from playercorefactory.xml directly, otherwise a message box "External Player Active. Click ok when playback is done" will appear every time.

Hope it helps. Although the built in player has improved a lot for BD-J menu, it still have some issues. e.g. A few seconds delay each time an item is selected from Pop-up menu. If this can be further improved. External player will no longer required.