Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Subtitles out of place on screen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Leia 18.7 on raspbian buster

Subtitles appear offset to the left and half way up the screen. I've checked in the player/language settings, and in the video calibration settings.

Is there anywhere else to look?

Subtitles appear in the normal place using VLC.
(2021-05-21, 08:33)km99 Wrote: [ -> ]Leia 18.7 on raspbian buster

Technically, Team Kodi is already at v19.1, so there won't be any fixes for v18.7, unless the Raspberry Pi developers are willing to implement some fixes.

Which subtitles type is this about? I take it it's not about .srt files. And are they external or internal?
(2021-05-21, 09:19)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-05-21, 08:33)km99 Wrote: [ -> ]Leia 18.7 on raspbian buster

Technically, Team Kodi is already at v19.1, so there won't be any fixes for v18.7, unless the Raspberry Pi developers are willing to implement some fixes.

Which subtitles type is this about? I take it it's not about .srt files. And are they external or internal?

Thanks for the response. This appears to be internal subtitles only (Stream #0:2(eng): Subtitle: mov_text (tx3g / 0x67337874), 960x81) as .srt titles are placed properly.

I only noticed it on mp4 containers, and I've just tried with mvk (Stream #0:3(eng): Subtitle: ass) which work ok too. All rather strange!

I don't think it's a version problem, as I haven't upgraded at all and this only just started occurring in the last few days.
SRT files themselves have no options to display in specific locations AFAIK, I never had issues the small time I used Raspbian Buster and Kodi.

If you only use/need Kodi on your RPi, perhaps try LibreELEC 9.2.6 or the latest LE 10 builds.
(2021-05-21, 10:25)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]SRT files themselves have no options to display in specific locations AFAIK, I never had issues the small time I used Raspbian Buster and Kodi.

If you only use/need Kodi on your RPi, perhaps try LibreELEC 9.2.6 or the latest LE 10 builds.

Thanks. As I said, .srt files display properly, as do ass internal subs in mkv containers.

Only mp4 mov_text subs seem to be affected.

Changing the operating system would, I think, be overkill for a problem that only Kodi suffers from.

I suspect this will probably remain a mystery.
(2021-05-21, 10:34)km99 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-05-21, 10:25)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]SRT files themselves have no options to display in specific locations AFAIK, I never had issues the small time I used Raspbian Buster and Kodi.

Thanks. As I said, .srt files display properly, as do ass internal subs in mkv containers.

Only mp4 mov_text subs seem to be affected.

Changing the operating system would, I think, be overkill for a problem that only Kodi suffers from.

I suspect this will probably remain a mystery.
After a little more experimenting, I suspect these tags in the subtitle stream are causing the problem:

Stream #0:2(eng): Subtitle: mov_text (tx3g / 0x67337874), 960x81, 0 kb/s (default)

[STREAM]
index=2
codec_name=mov_text
codec_long_name=MOV text
profile=unknown
codec_type=subtitle
codec_time_base=0/1
codec_tag_string=tx3g
codec_tag=0x67337874
width=960
height=81

Though I haven't been able to find out any more information about them, or how to amend them. It appears that Kodi is the only player I have tried that actually supports them!