Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: E-AC3 transcoding, no sound
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

My setup is HTPC --> HDMI --> TV --> SPDIF --> 5.1 speakers with native AC3 and DTS support.

Initially HTPC had Fedora 33 and there were no issues playing video files with AC3 / DTS passthrough enabled and E-AC3 transcoded. After upgrading to Fedora 34, I noticed that multichannel audio stopped working and video files I played with Kodi (19.0 and 19.1) had 2 channels audio only.
Fedora 34 switched to Pipewire and quick research showed that it doesn't support passthrough yet, so I rolled audio framework back to Pulseaudio. After that AC3 and DTS audio is played as multichannel, but there is no sound for transcoded E-AC3 audio, i.e., speakers output nothing and show that there is no signal coming into their SPDIF input. Disabling passthough in Kodi audio settings when playing a video file with E-AC3 track brings sound back, but as 2 channels only.

How can I debug what the problem might be? Is there any other setting I should check?

Thank you.
@von_Zeppelin The first step is to provide a Debug Log via Kodi Paste Site
(2021-05-27, 20:02)asavah Wrote: [ -> ]@von_Zeppelin The first step is to provide a Debug Log via Kodi Paste Site

Hi,

@asavah, thank you for your reply, here it is sikeyizife.kodi (paste).

Thank you.
(2021-05-30, 06:27)von_Zeppelin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-05-27, 20:02)asavah Wrote: [ -> ]@von_Zeppelin The first step is to provide a Debug Log via Kodi Paste Site

Hi,

@asavah, thank you for your reply, here it is sikeyizife.kodi (paste).

Thank you.

Hi,

@asavah Is there anything else I can provide to help resolve the issue?

I see many ERROR <general>: CAEEncoderFFmpeg::Encode - Encoding failed errors in the logs, could be the reason?

Thank you!
Please use a supporte ffmpeg version: FFmpeg version/source: 4.4 is not supported in 19.1 by us.

Please ask Fedora, seems they liked to break the kodi version they ship to you for free ...
(2021-06-03, 12:24)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Please use a supporte ffmpeg version: FFmpeg version/source: 4.4 is not supported in 19.1 by us.

Please ask Fedora, seems they liked to break the kodi version they ship to you for free ...

Hey @fritsch! Thank you for your reply, turned out there is an issue exactly about this already https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6000
Yeah. Current XBMC git master should work fine with this ffmpeg version. Fedora seems to just compile tested it... they are missing a patch which is in master since longer time and obviously will be in v20 to properly make it work.