Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Black screen while updating skin.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey,
I'm trying to maintain awesome Arctic Zephyr 2 skin for Kodi Matrix. 
While updating skin, there is a black screen and after successfully update, everything back to normal with updated package.
I know it can be good in some point, because updating skin in a fly might be problematic, however if I'm not wrong I saw in other skins, they can be updated without black screen.
How can I control this behaviour? It can be misleading for users when they will see black screen and nothing more for few seconds...
I wonder if it's possible to make somethings like "update skin..." splash art?
Amber certainly also does this, so I think it's most likely a generic effect/issue.

Which isn't to say what you suggest isn't a good idea anyway, but it would be better posted as a feature request perhaps. Would you like me to move it there?
(2021-05-30, 18:34)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]Would you like me to move it there?

Of course, please do this Smile
Hmm.. If I'm not wrong I did not see this behaviour in Arctic Zephyr - Reloaded skin, but I should make a test to be sure.
It would be nice to make a feedback to user when skin is updating.

#edit
Oh sorry... Arctic Zephyr Reloaded have the same behaviour. So it should be controlled by the Kodi itself, right?
I wonder if the black screen during skin update has to do with skins that use Skin Shortcuts.
Isn't it simply because the old skin has to be dumped from memory before the updated one can be loaded?
(2021-05-31, 14:53)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't it simply because the old skin has to be dumped from memory before the updated one can be loaded?
In this scenario, is it possible to make a feedback to user?
(2021-05-31, 16:12)nfm886 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-05-31, 14:53)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't it simply because the old skin has to be dumped from memory before the updated one can be loaded?
In this scenario, is it possible to make a feedback to user?

Assuming the black screen is true for every skin, any kind of feedback like that would have to be built into core Kodi. There would be no way for a skin author to provide any kind of feedback to the user, as the skin had been unloaded. In my case, the only time I notice a long delay is with skins that use Skin Shortcuts. The stock Estuary seems to blip for less than a second, so it's hard to justify (at least to myself) doing changes to the core to try and put up a message that might not be up very long.
Plus I think most users understand that you can get a black screen when things get updated and will wait before trying to do anything.