Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 'Playback failed' Kodi on apple Tv with smb from Mac
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

new member here. 
I have installed Kodi on my apply tv 4k recently and I am trying to set up.
I have a HUGE issue and the problem is that for 2 days I am trying all the possible solutions but still nothing. I hope someone from here to help me Smile 

I have set up my Mac mini as shared file server with samba. Simple configuration by the system preferences ( I want to set up by SMBUp but I am running Big Sur so is not possible) so I successfully shared my folders (internal and external drives) from my Mac and I set up the path from Kodi on Apple TV (Videos>Files> Add videos> Browse > Zeroconf browser > @My_mac_mini@ >@My_shared_folder(external for example) > OK. Done. 
All the content is available for preview and I can browse it.
But when I trying to play a video from the folder I get the below message: 

Playback failed
One or more items failed to play. Check the log for more information about this message.

But the logs did not mention anything about it.

Is anyone familiar with this issue? Can I "fix it" ?

Thanks in advance all, 
Nikos
force smb to v1 in Kodi settings. you should've searched the forums first.

not telling your macOS version also doesn't help btw.
(2021-06-08, 21:41)kambala Wrote: [ -> ]force smb to v1 in Kodi settings. you should've searched the forums first.

hmmm yeah, already done this but no luck. Still the same issue. 

If it was so simple I wouldn't start a new topic. Smile
(2021-06-08, 23:21)nikoskon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-06-08, 21:41)kambala Wrote: [ -> ]force smb to v1 in Kodi settings. you should've searched the forums first.

telling what you had already tried would also have helped Wink

I see that you use zeroconf to browse shares. In kodi v19 it doesn't really work, you have to add a folder explicitly via Add network location, see https://kodi.wiki/view/SMB#Adding_Remote_Sources. Maybe that'd help.

did you force smb v1 as both min and max versions in Kodi settings btw?
(2021-06-09, 08:25)kambala Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-06-08, 23:21)nikoskon Wrote: [ -> ]

telling what you had already tried would also have helped Wink

I see that you use zeroconf to browse shares. In kodi v19 it doesn't really work, you have to add a folder explicitly via Add network location, see https://kodi.wiki/view/SMB#Adding_Remote_Sources. Maybe that'd help.

did you force smb v1 as both min and max versions in Kodi settings btw?

I tried this (https://kodi.wiki/view/SMB#Adding_Remote_Sources) but no luck either. 

yes I have set min & max version smb v1 in Kodi.
do you have custom SMB server settings maybe? (which make zeroconf browsing work)

at least on Catalina and below there're no issues with playing from shares... (not on Big Sur yet)
(2021-06-09, 14:17)kambala Wrote: [ -> ]do you have custom SMB server settings maybe? (which make zeroconf browsing work)

at least on Catalina and below there're no issues with playing from shares... (not on Big Sur yet)

nope, nothing custom, just enable the File Sharing option and add some folders with full rights. that's all.