Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: how to get start with core development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I finally upgrade my laptop and would like to attempt to build Kodi from the source. Then maybe I can help with coding later on.

Can anyone explain it to me what programs I would need to do this. I use vscode for my python and js stuff. So are there any plugins to recommend for that as well.

I come here because of I attempted using the guide in the docs before but can never get it working.
Hmmm, the Win10 build instructions worked for me recently when I needed to be able to build under Windows (normally I build on Linux).  However, I did notice that I needed multiple runs of download-dependencies.bat before it finally succeeded.  As long as you install all the prerequisites first you should be good to go.

If not, post a log of your build going wrong and I'm sure someone will be able to help you.
(2021-06-11, 19:57)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]Hmmm, the Win10 build instructions worked for me recently when I needed to be able to build under Windows (normally I build on Linux).  However, I did notice that I needed multiple runs of download-dependencies.bat before it finally succeeded.  As long as you install all the prerequisites first you should be good to go.

If not, post a log of your build going wrong and I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

Maybe it been updated more recently. I will give it another go and report back thanks.
(2021-06-11, 19:57)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]Hmmm, the Win10 build instructions worked for me recently when I needed to be able to build under Windows (normally I build on Linux).  However, I did notice that I needed multiple runs of download-dependencies.bat before it finally succeeded.  As long as you install all the prerequisites first you should be good to go.

So it has definitely been updated. I did manage to do the manual build successfully though I am missing all the dll to actually test it so I attempted the automagical and I get NSIS installed? error.
NSIS is installed I even added it to the environments variable path. I am using building on windows 10 most resent update. https://pastebin.com/wvfrr9xR This is just the last few lines of output from the console. The build log where would they actually be located?
(2021-06-14, 08:41)smitchell6879 Wrote: [ -> ]I did manage to do the manual build successfully though I am missing all the dll to actually test it

No, you won't be.  I don't have my Win build system to hand right now but from what I remember, the executable is in a different directory to all the required DLL's.  I just copied it into the directory with the DLL's in and ran it from there.  Don't know about NSIS because I didn't need to build the installer.
(2021-06-14, 09:02)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-06-14, 08:41)smitchell6879 Wrote: [ -> ]I did manage to do the manual build successfully though I am missing all the dll to actually test it

No, you won't be.  I don't have my Win build system to hand right now but from what I remember, the executable is in a different directory to all the required DLL's.  I just copied it into the directory with the DLL's in and ran it from there.  Don't know about NSIS because I didn't need to build the installer.

Thanks I just dropped it into the build directory and the exe I manually created from the instructions worked. Smile now time to play around and see what I can break. Thank you for your help.
(2021-06-14, 11:25)smitchell6879 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-06-14, 09:02)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks I just dropped it into the build directory and the exe I manually created from the instructions worked. Smile now time to play around and see what I can break. Thank you for your help.
If you use Visual Studio (Community Edition) you don't have to care about paths and locations because it's all part of the CMake / Visual Studio configuration. You just build everything, hit run (or debug) and it will start without any manual steps.