Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Playlist for live RTSP streams with specified playback time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Using Kodi (LibreELEC box) in order to play an ip-camera stream works perfect. I just put the rtsp:// address in a *.strm file and Kodi shows it flawlessly whenever selected to play. However, since I have several (>5) ip-cameras, I would like Kodi to play one RTSP-stream for a specified amount of time, and then switch to the other RTSP-stream for a specified amount of time, and so on. Naturally, I would like to let it loop.

Basically one would just need a simple playlist for this, with RTSP-streams. However, so far I could nowhere find out how to specify to let a live RTSP-stream only play for a specified amount of time (as it is a live stream) and then move on to the next stream in the playlist. So far I know, neither M3U or Kodi's XSP playlist format have options for doing this (which work in Kodi).

Hence, my question is whether anyone know how to create such a playlist (which playlist format?), and if this is not possible within Kodi whether there are any options to do this in any other way?
Maybe you need an additional utility that will manage information flows? Have you tried to find such a solution?
(2021-06-22, 15:33)Burrrrrton Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe you need an additional utility that will manage information flows? Have you tried to find such a solution?

Ehm, "a utility to manage information flows"? I don't quite get what you mean with that. Maybe you can elaborate why such a utility is what I need?

On a normal computer with VLC I can use the XSPF playlist format, as it supports controls for VLC like: <vlc:option>run-time=48</vlc:option>. However, Kodi does not support XSPF and probably neither supports controls which are specifically for VLC.

What I just need is a simple playlist which Kodi can handle for some live video-streams (RTSP). However, since it are live streams, the playlist needs to be told how long to playback a certain stream and switch on to the next stream, as it are not video files with a fixed duration.
After searching for several months, I haven't been able to solve this issue yet, even I'd say a very simple solution should be available as Kodi plays the RTSP-streams flawlessly when the RTSP-url is given in a *.strm file.

Hence, I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge regarding advanced playlists, and especially regarding advanced controls within M3U8-playlists (HLS?) as it seems Kodi can handle these well. It should be as simple as play rtsp-stream #01 for 15 seconds, then play rtsp-stream #02 for 10 seconds, then rtsp-stream #03 for 20 seconds and then start all over again. Anyone?

In case this cannot be done by playlists, maybe any clue how this can be done with any scripting language?