Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi 18 on Ubuntu 21 on Raspberry Pi?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

I have Kodi 18 running on Ubuntu 20 on a Raspberry Pi 4.

Ubuntu is now prompting me to upgrade to version 21.

Does anyone know if it is possible to continue to run Kodi 18 on Ubuntu 21?

Thanks!
(2021-06-30, 15:39)AV9279 Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know if it is possible to continue to run Kodi 18 on Ubuntu 21?

Ubuntu on RPi is not part of Kodi's PPA. So likely it's all Debian based what you are using in Ubuntu 20 and also 21.
(2021-06-30, 15:45)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-06-30, 15:39)AV9279 Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know if it is possible to continue to run Kodi 18 on Ubuntu 21?

Ubuntu on RPi is not part of Kodi's PPA. So likely it's all Debian based what you are using in Ubuntu 20 and also 21.
Thanks for the reply. So basically that means I should be asking this question in the Ubuntu forums?
@AV9279 Kodi on Ubuntu is a generic unoptimized and slightly butchered version originating from debian which AFAIK can't use hardware video decoding, there is IMO no point in using their version.

Ubuntu 21 ships Kodi 19 (Matrix).
Yes, but the only way to achieve that currently would be to build Kodi 18 from source with all the right features enabled.
(2021-07-01, 02:39)asavah Wrote: [ -> ]@AV9279 Kodi on Ubuntu is a generic unoptimized and slightly butchered version originating from debian which AFAIK can't use hardware video decoding, there is IMO no point in using their version.

Ubuntu 21 ships Kodi 19 (Matrix).
Yes, but the only way to achieve that currently would be to build Kodi 18 from source with all the right features enabled.
Thank you very much for that information!
Just in case anyone finds this information helpful, I installed Ubuntu 21 64 bit for Raspberry Pi on a separate SD card to try it out, and it seems that the only version of Kodi available via Ubuntu Software is "mir-kiosk-kodi - Kodi packaged as a mir-kiosk snap", which doesn't have a very good rating and appears to be version 18.6.
@AV9279 is there any specific reason for you to use ubuntu on the pi?

If I needed a general purpose OS on the pi my choice would be Raspberry PI OS (aka raspbian) or Arch.
Do note that I mostly use ubuntu on x64 desktops and servers.

You might want to grab a spare sd-card and give the OSes I mentioned above a spin.
The RPi4 also supports USB boot, so use a spare USB stick for testing other Kodi solutions.
Perhaps LibreELEC, with Docker if you need extensions for your tools.
(2021-07-02, 15:44)asavah Wrote: [ -> ]@AV9279 is there any specific reason for you to use ubuntu on the pi?

If I needed a general purpose OS on the pi my choice would be Raspberry PI OS (aka raspbian) or Arch.
Do note that I mostly use ubuntu on x64 desktops and servers.

You might want to grab a spare sd-card and give the OSes I mentioned above a spin.
Not really. I'm just not all that familiar with Linux. The little bit of experience I do have is on Ubuntu and Manjaro. I'll try out your suggestions. Thanks!
(2021-07-02, 17:09)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]The RPi4 also supports USB boot, so use a spare USB stick for testing other Kodi solutions.
Thanks for your suggestions, I'll be sure to try them out.
(2021-07-04, 02:26)AV9279 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-07-02, 17:09)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]The RPi4 also supports USB boot, so use a spare USB stick for testing other Kodi solutions.
Thanks for your suggestions, I'll be sure to try them out.
For those that have a Raspberry PI 4, I highly recommended Ubuntu Mate for Raspberry PI (debian ARM64).  I've been using it for 8 months now or so, works wonderfully, however I did have to update to 21.04 recently as 20.11 support is gone now.  I also boot from a 1tb very fast USB SSD.  My PI screams, as it has a tower cooler and tower case with tower case and extra case fan.  You can easily overclock to 2.147 Ghz and higher.  Also 4 or 8GB ram(preferable) and you have a REAL desktop. Mine benchmarks as fast as an older Intel I5 with linpack benchmark.   Basically if you want a wonderful desktop environment that's fast and easy to use, try Ubuntu Mate for the Raspberry PI, works fine on all Raspberry PI 4 models!
(2021-10-07, 17:52)ansley Wrote: [ -> ]For those that have a Raspberry PI 4, I highly recommended Ubuntu Mate for Raspberry PI (debian ARM64).  I've been using it for 8 months now or so, works wonderfully, however I did have to update to 21.04 recently as 20.11 support is gone now.  I also boot from a 1tb very fast USB SSD.  My PI screams, as it has a tower cooler and tower case with tower case and extra case fan.  You can easily overclock to 2.147 Ghz and higher.  Also 4 or 8GB ram(preferable) and you have a REAL desktop. Mine benchmarks as fast as an older Intel I5 with linpack benchmark.   Basically if you want a wonderful desktop environment that's fast and easy to use, try Ubuntu Mate for the Raspberry PI, works fine on all Raspberry PI 4 models!

I just installed Ubuntu Mate on a second SD card, and it seems to be working very well. I was able to install Kodi 18 easily. The best part is, it's based on Ubuntu 20 LTS, so I'm good through the middle of 2023. Thank you very much for this tip!