Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi 19.1 - Windows 10 - NVIDIA GeForce GT-710
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm running Kodi 19.1 on a Windows 10 machine (see my signature for details). I've got an NVIDIA GeForce GT-710 display that supports 4K resolution, and it's connected to my SAMSUNG TV which is 4K also.

General performance of Kodi is good when I select a 1080P resolution. But it gets really bad when I switch to 4K.  Very jittery in the UI, same in the video player.

It's a pretty low-end graphics card - do I need to get something substantial to run at 4K smoothly?
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: yes.
GT710 itself is extremely weak, it's "show me the desktop" class GPU.
GT710 can decode 4K h264, but most of the 4K content nowadays is h265 (hevc) and obviously it would hit your cpu very hard with software decoding.

However given GPU prices nowadays I'd be very reluctant to recommend buying a new GPU for HTPC right now.
Looking at your TV specs... it supports HDR10, HLG, HDR10+ and it's likely you'll want to take advantage. Here's a comparison of my gfx card vs yours.. and I'm unsure of success with 4K HDR10, HLG, HDR10+ You might want to monitor your bandwidth with the keyboard OSD commands and see if you have any fetch issues, then investigate your cabling for HDMI 2.1 but in all, I would suggest that asavah advice is more or less spot on.
asavah and PatK, thank you both for your replies. That is what I feared.

Man, GPUs are indeed expensive. Many cost more than my TV alone. If anyone has an lower-budget suggestion for a model that will support 4K (h265), HDR10+ etc. I'd really appreciate you input!
(2021-07-01, 21:05)DenmanGuy Wrote: [ -> ]GPUs are indeed expensive. Many cost more than my TV alone.
Dare I suggest something like the Nvidia Shield or a 4K fire-stick? Check with our hardware section, there's plenty of cost saving solutions in there, I personally keep a few Android boxes up connected to my PC for this reason.