Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: KODI and AV1 playback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been testing a bit AV1 playback (720p for start) on my j1900 CPU - and I've noticed that it is using only one core for decoding AV1 videos, whereas when decoding H265, it's using all four cores.
Is this by design of decoder, and is there a possibility to change to multicore decoder if it exists?
(2021-07-03, 16:11)hlloyge Wrote: [ -> ]Is this by design of decoder, and is there a possibility to change to multicore decoder if it exists?

I'm sure that a multi-core solution would be preferable. I don't have all the details on the current AV1 driver solution.
But it's a working solution for now. What OS are you using on the J1900 ?
Ultimately I think the fix is to move from libdav1d.dll to hardware decode with ffmpeg 4.4 at least where supported.

scott s.
There is a patch (hack?) used in LibreElec which somehow enables multithreaded software decoding at least in linux.

https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.t...elec.patch
(2021-07-03, 20:28)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure that a multi-core solution would be preferable. I don't have all the details on the current AV1 driver solution.
But it's a working solution for now. What OS are you using on the J1900 ?
I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
same struggle but with an i7-2600k
with last kodi 19.4 and a 4K HDR sample at 4169kbps of bitrate : kodi fail, i have sound for 18s than nothing buffering at 100%
Test on VLC same thing sound ok but no picture
Last MPC-HC (last version) + MADVR all ok, CPU between 40 to 60%

So not a power problem i think
I very much doubt a Intel chip that old is going to be able to cope with software decode AV1
(2022-04-03, 14:30)grouik Wrote: [ -> ]same struggle but with an i7-2600k

That's an 11-yr old CPU... What GPU are you using?
Any such old Intel igpu will not hw-accelerate AV1, that's for sure.
And such old CPUs will have a struggle as well, for sure.
The Windows builds are also behind on dav1d updates so some improved software decoding is probably possible.   Nexus might be better than Matrix but it still is not as current as non-Windows builds.

Intel is old but most ARM devices do software decoding with much less capable CPU.

Martin