Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi 19.1 underflow error and gibberish timestamps when using a DAC (Schiit Modi 3+)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello! I'm a new user of Kodi (Build 19.1 (19.1.0), no add-ons) on macOS Big Sur (10.16, kernel: Darwin 20.2.0, not apple silicon) and it has been working really well with SMB sharing.

However, after plugging in a DAC (Schiit Modi 3+) as the audio output device, very weird error happened: the audio files can be played normally for around a minute, then it suddenly stopped with the timestamp being complete gibberish which changes wildly (e.g., 339584:51:12/11:50, -475313:21:04/11:50 for a song of duration 11:50). At the same time, nothing appeared to be wrong in the kodi.log. When I pressed the stop button, I noted "WARNING <general>: DARWINOSX: underflow (0 vs 4096 bytes)" in the log.

Here is the gif showing this weird behavior on imgur: https://imgur.com/a/U9MzFEL.
The full log is here on pastebin: https://paste.kodi.tv/lucimazoco.kodi.
The log showed nothing wrong when this error happened (around 03:23:00) but the underflow was reported when I clicked the stop button (03:23:12).

I also ran Kodi using Schiit Modi 3+ on Arch Linux, but everything is well. I can only guess this error is related to something underflown in OSX when this DAC is plugged in, but not sure where to look into. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Yeah I noticed this months ago, showed it here on the forum and no one cared. Not a single reply.
(2021-07-18, 18:17)McYoshi Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah I noticed this months ago, showed it here on the forum and no one cared. Not a single reply.

After some digging, I found Spotify/Tidal/Qobuz all exhibited a similar broken behaviour in terms of playback. VLC is good thought.
So I was assuming it might be connection issues due to Apple's software that is not unique to Kodi.
Anyways, I am using Kodi on Surface with w/ Modi, and it just works.
Yeah well I'm setting up Plex/Jellyfin and a separate radio app right now as an alternative. Don't think there'll be a fix for this issue in the near future.