Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi from Debian - Support Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Thanks for the quick response. Works great.
I'd love a link to a 20 package for Debian 11... i can't add the official repo due to gpg deprication
@basilgello i'am testing your kodi nexus testbuild. so far so good.
any chance to add pvr clients, at least simple IPTV client and tvheadend client? when i try to install with cli, it brings following erros (i assume those are not compatible with nexus).
i meanwhile built it, all working fine.
20.0 entered Debian unstable! In two / three days it will migrate to testing (bookworm) and I will upload the whole set of addons into bullseye-backports.
Also I am on track for 19.5 to bullseye-proposed-updates (sorry for one-month delay @TheJezstarr ! ).
(2023-01-21, 05:37)DocIdaho Wrote: [ -> ]I'd love a link to a 20 package for Debian 11... i can't add the official repo due to gpg deprication
https://transfer.sh/xXYk5P/kodi-20.0-bullseye.tar

Also, what's wrong with gpg?
Debian refuses to add the PPA because gpg-key is depricated..there are ways to manually import the keys, force the repos to be trusted, etc, but then you get other errors (unmet dependencies).
https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_Linux

see the big red box that reads:

Code:
Releases from Team Kodi PPA are NOT compatible with Debian GNU / Linux and distributions built on top of Debian's binary package repositories! Please refer to Debian section of this page for installation instructions on such distributions!
Sorry for what might be a silly question, but whilst I have a lot of experience with Kodi I'm new to Linux.

I've recently bought a Chromebook and I'm currently running Kodi on it via Android, but I also want to experiment with Kodi via Linux too to determine if that's a better solution.

Should I be using this 'Kodi from Debian' version? Or the 'Team Kodi PPA' version?

I've done some intitial testing with both, and both seem to install and run, but with some glitches too, however that may be because I haven't yet added other binary addons.

If I understand correctly Linux on ChromeOS is Debian based running in a container - so should I be using this 'Kodi from Debian' version for best compatiability? Or if it does not make any difference, what are the pros and cons between the two versions?

And what about hardware decoding, will it work? Initiially it doesn't seem to, but again, does that require an additional binary addon to be installed?

THANKS! Smile
i dont think there is a right or wrong answer for you @jmh2002
its all user preference, what each os offers is different from the other
the most glaring difference to most people is the user interface and that does drive some people one way or the other but there isnt going to be much on a chromebook linux install that will be linux specific interface
on a chromebook, with crouton, you can install either ubuntu or debian, the thing to note is that the PPA is only for ubuntu, obviously only debian packages should be installed on debian

it is my preference to run debian because its what im used to, once you run one or the other youll find theres one you prefer but in core functionality it shouldnt vary much

the debian packages are released from debian so they tend to be behind a few versions on the stable release, you have to go to "testing" or "unstable" to get a newer one from debian
these are officially supported by debian, not team kodi

the team kodi PPA packages are released from team kodi, will be more up to date because of less stringent restrictions and are officially supported by team kodi
(2023-01-31, 06:47)jepsizofye Wrote: [ -> ]i dont think there is a right or wrong answer for you @jmh2002
its all user preference, what each os offers is different from the other

Thanks for your reply Smile But I'm not looking to change the OS so it's not a choice of installing full verions of Debian or Ubuntu. ChromeOS now comes standard with Debian based Linux running in a container. i think that should be enough for me for the odd few apps that may run better under Linux than Android.
then the short answer was already posted above your question @jmh2002 PPA is only for ubuntu and not debian
(2023-01-31, 07:14)jepsizofye Wrote: [ -> ]then the short answer was already posted above your question @jmh2002 PPA is only for ubuntu and not debian

Ok thanks Smile

Can you also tell me about hardware decoding please? Should it work out of the box with Kodi from Debian or does that require an additional binary addon to be installed?

Initiially it doesn't seem to work for me.
@jmh2002

since youve chosen to run kodi in a non-standard way there is no standard answer for hardware decoding
my expectation is that it would not work from a virtual environment on a chromebook because of the "virtual" part, it's unlikely to be able to access hardware in order to utilize hardware acceleration

youll have to perform some of your own research into hardware acceleration in general in the way that youve chosen to run your system
Thanks for your replies @jepsizofye

It seems like Hardware Acceleration in Linux on ChromeOS only works for certain apps that have specifically optimised for that.
(Hardware Acceleration does however work in Kodi on Android even though it also runs in a VM container)

On the plus side Kodi from Debian seems to navigate menus faster on my Chromebook than Kodi on Android which is great. On the minus side no Hardware Acceleration means higher CPU use, higher temperatures, and higher battery drain. There are also some other bugs with regard to the screen turning off, etc (seems like the Chromebook doesn't know that Kodi is playing a video and after 5mins turns the screen off like normal).

It seems that Kodi on Android via ChromeOS remains the more optimised choice for the moment.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13