Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: .mkv Playback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just started using Makemkv to convert owned DVD and Blu rays to mkv files to play on my Kodi setup:

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B v1.2
Kodi  Build 17.6
Libreelec 8.2.5

My issue is playback is slow...choppy...stops & starts.
I have ordered the MPEG-2 and VC-1 licenses just in case...haven't received them (1 week Sad )
I have converted 7 DVD/BR to try, so far 5 of the 7 I've tried have the above mentioned symptoms.
The files are out of the box makemkv conversions..files are large of course (17 - 25 gb).
Playback test are being accessed from a networked attached WD My Cloud.
MediInfo shows video formats ...VC-1...MPEG Video (version 2)...AVC on the ones with problems.

All files do play in the spot checking of them ...Win 10 and VLC
Some of the files will play when transferred to USB stick  or attached WD Passport to the RPi USB port.

I've hopefully succeeded in gathering a log file, using Kodi debugging tool - Kodi logfile uploader add-on Angry

LOGFILE

https://paste.kodi.tv/oriquzowes

Thanks
Steve
You LibreELEC/Kodi is very outdated.
Grab a spare sdcard (to avoid killing your current setup), install a fresh version of LibreELEC and try again.
(2021-08-18, 19:15)asavah Wrote: [ -> ]You LibreELEC/Kodi is very outdated.
Grab a spare sdcard (to avoid killing your current setup), install a fresh version of LibreELEC and try again.

Thanks for reading...I was under the impression that the highest version of libreelec I could go with the combo of RPi 3 - Kodi - libreelec ?

https://libreelec.tv/downloads_new/raspberry-pi-3-3/

Steve

Looks like I should try this combo (Kodi - LibreELEC) On a SDcard Huh?

Yes, or get their sd-card imager for windows from https://libreelec.tv/downloads_new/ , you can pick a version you want right in the gui.
(2021-08-18, 19:52)asavah Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, or get their sd-card imager for windows from https://libreelec.tv/downloads_new/ , you can pick a version you want right in the gui.

Done....Now I need to go back to school learning how set everything up (Adding WD My Cloud to source to test) ... Rofl

Was already navigating around Kodi 18.9....LibreELEC 9.2.8 Cool

Thanks I'll be awhile

Steve
(2021-08-18, 20:22)Crow T. Robot Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-08-18, 19:52)asavah Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, or get their sd-card imager for windows from https://libreelec.tv/downloads_new/ , you can pick a version you want right in the gui.

Done....Now I need to go back to school learning how set everything up (Adding WD My Cloud to source to test) ... Rofl

Was already navigating around Kodi 18.9....LibreELEC 9.2.8 Cool

Thanks I'll be awhile

Steve
Went to File Manager >My Cloud > Movie .mkv file

Played as before stuttering...choppy

File is 22.9gb video AVC audio DTS XLL

LOG
https://paste.kodi.tv/ziyzlezuji

Thanks
Steve
(2021-08-18, 21:18)Crow T. Robot Wrote: [ -> ]LOG

Your log file seems incorrect.
Try to upload the log again, check for errors that the log file is not too large.
(2021-08-18, 22:41)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-08-18, 21:18)Crow T. Robot Wrote: [ -> ]LOG

Your log file seems incorrect.
Try to upload the log again, check for errors that the log file is not too large.
Thanks...Not sure what I'm doing right or wrong..
  • Enable debug logging
  • Reboot
  • replicate issue
  • Use Kodi Logfile Uploader add-on
  • use ..https address provided
LOG
https://paste.kodi.tv/akofavixok

Thanks
Steve
First check if the file plays okay locally (copy to sdcard or use a directly connected USB stick).
If it does then the problem lies in the network. Is everything wired? (e.g. pi to router and router to WD cloud?)
(2021-08-19, 11:44)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]First check if the file plays okay locally (copy to sdcard or use a directly connected USB stick).
(2021-08-19, 11:44)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]If it does then the problem lies in the network. Is everything wired? (e.g. pi to router and router to WD cloud?)
Thanks for reading & helping..

The RPi is on WIFI and the WD My Cloud is connected to router 

I was doing some testing on different playback devices everything points to what you and I initially suspected .....Probably network related. 

All 7 test files play on PC (Win 10 / VLC)
6 of the 7 play ok on direct connection of 1TB HD to the Pi usb port
All 7 FAIL when trying play off the Networked Connected WD My Cloud......Network
6 of the 7 play ok when directly connecting a 32gb Flash Drive to Pi usb port

The same movie/file failed on the 1TB - USB - My Cloud testing....Video format = VC-1 (Oh Brother, Where Art Thou) the only one to have VC-1 of the 7
I already mentioned I purchased from Raspberry Pi Store the License Keys (VC-1 and MPEG-2)  Still haven't received the License Keys has been 8 days.... Sad

I need to try again connecting RPi to router to see if those files work.....I tried briefly on some files but they didn't play smoothly

If I directly connect a 2/3TB to the RPi would I be able to transfer from the PC to that drive Huh? And then play off that drive Huh

The only reason for this query was to make sure nothing in my Kodi log showed something that I could adjust.

Thanks for the Help !!!
Steve
(2021-08-19, 21:50)Crow T. Robot Wrote: [ -> ]Still haven't received the License Keys has been 8 days....
Drop an email to [email protected] with your order id.
Codecs are sold by RPT/RPF and store related issues are better handled at their official forums.
We can't help with this issue here at all.
(2021-08-19, 23:19)asavah Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-08-19, 21:50)Crow T. Robot Wrote: [ -> ]Still haven't received the License Keys has been 8 days....
Drop an email to [email protected] with your order id.
Codecs are sold by RPT/RPF and store related issues are better handled at their official forums.
We can't help with this issue here at all.
Yeah I knew about that, considering the major culprit was a VC-1 codec for one of the .mkv's the added info was about my efforts to self-help than a request for help from Kodi/LibreElec/ Raspberry Pi Support staff here Wink

I already reached out to them with the appropriate info a couple of days ago.....Thanks

Steve
Wifi is always going to be questionable for raw BluRay rips.
Even raw DVDs may be questionable (depending on distance/walls/neighbours use of wifi).

Really an ethernet cable is the only sure way of reliable playback (you should be able to test this by moving Pi close to router and connecting a cable).

A directly connected hard disk will also work. You should be able to upload files to Pi's hard disk over wifi (it will just be slow).
(2021-08-20, 16:45)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]Wifi is always going to be questionable for raw BluRay rips.
Even raw DVDs may be questionable (depending on distance/walls/neighbours use of wifi).

Really an ethernet cable is the only sure way of reliable playback (you should be able to test this by moving Pi close to router and connecting a cable).

A directly connected hard disk will also work. You should be able to upload files to Pi's hard disk over wifi (it will just be slow).
Thanks for sharing the info ....

Reading around the internet, saw similar advice. I guess since lurking for years, I figured the important and useful log would reveal possibly inadequate settings on my part.

The advice was sound and basic computer knowledge.

The Pi is about 15 feet away from the router...I do have a extra Ethernet cable attached to a switch connected to the router that I can test and try.
Any hard disk I'll connect, I probably use a powered hub.
Quote:You LibreELEC/Kodi is very outdated.
Thanks for this advice asavah .....Everything was working fine with the old/outdated setup. But I needed to update no-doubt Cool .

Thank You

Steve
Other thing with onboard wifi performance on the RPi 3 & 4 is it's gated by the SDIO bus, most reports I have seen have it maxxed at 80Mbps regardless of conditions/connections/distance.  Switching to a USB dongle and disabling on-board wifi I have been able to get up to ~260Mbps on a 5GHz 80Mhz channel (tested via iperf3).  Plus a read-ahead cache on the Kodi side helps through those high bit-rate scenes.

Without a doubt, already said, is ethernet is your best bet, if you can do it then that should be your first choice.  Don't know about RPi3, but most RPi4 users can get 950+Mbps on a gigabit ethernet.
Pages: 1 2