Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Movies(video only) started to stutter/choppy from nothing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I have been using KODI since forever and been lurking in these forums but never actually been doing anything here. Never really had any problems that I couldn't solve pretty easy.
I tried to read so i hope i dont miss out too much information. Don't pay attension to my spellings as English isn't my native language Smile

Kodi 17.6
Windows 10 Pro x64
CPU: X64, QuadCore AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3000 MHz
RAM: 12GB

GFX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050  (2 GB)
DRIVER: Gigabyte NVIDIA[384.76]
nVIDIA GP107 HDMI/DP
SCREEN: Samsung TV 80Q

AUDIO is playing though Passthrou to get the digital audio. Using WASPI. 

First I can mention why I use older KODI is that rar support/VFS does't work on v18 and up at all regardless if I reinstall whole system.

Suddenly my playback of video have from nothing begun to stutter and begun to be choppy. Audio was/is still good. I tried every setting in NVIDIA Control Panel and in KODI.
What did help a little bit is to play using Fullscreen Windows instead of true fullscreen. But this is not what I want.
So I formated the drive and reinstalled Windows 10 again and did not install other softwares than the needed drivers etc for the computer.
Problem did still exist.

Finally a few days later I seem to have been successfull which I can't understand is working better? Hardware problem?

Disabled DXVA2 and changed to SOFTWARE renderer instead of AUTO/DXVA. Now the video plays good as before with true fullscreen.

With this thread I'm not really intrested as now to go deeper on what the problem really is. But rather can try discuss what the problems CAN be? I know that there can be many many faults here but still.... Is the GPU on my 1050 card failing as I never update drivers and others when system is working.
Or can my computer system be failing, ie motherboard, memory, cpu? Why I wonder that is that my harddrives have begun to fail with bad sectors and one drive became unreadable and one is now already replaced.
I was about to buy an upgrade of my computer ie B550 mobo and matching cpu/memory but as SOFTWARE renderer and disabling DXVA2 have solved my problem for now I'm waiting with that system upgrade.

Hope I could make myself understood. If any questions, please ask and I'll try ansering Smile

Thanks.
Without the system in front of my eyes, most of this is going to be conjecture (guess work). Moving to software rendering brings to bare the cpu processor to take most of the rendering load. This points the finger at the gfx card, although a 1050 should be able to handle 1080p no sweat, but once you get to 4K & UHD & h265 that 2 gig gfx memory is a limitation you'll run into. To get the best out of that system, you would have only one display up at a time, a 1080p Kodi interface with a desktop of 1080p while playing 4K might still fly, check out this tip thread.

Comparing my gfx card with yours, I've had no issues yet but lack the 4K display.
(2021-08-21, 19:58)timebandit Wrote: [ -> ]my harddrives have begun to fail with bad sectors and one drive became unreadable and one is now already replaced.
Hard drives are like light bulbs, they burn out with time, bad temperature conditions, and heavy thrashing (defragment once in a blue moon) and keep Kodi on an SSD if possible. For the most part I don't see drive failures as a software issue. Although introduced corrupt files can play havoc with the block system and cause write errors that can invalidate the format.
Good practice is to upgrade drives just after the warranty runs out, then copy all the stuff from the old to the new, and viola you have an instant back-up.  When it comes to computers acting up, 80% of the time it's power supply problems and this thread cry's for it to be tested.
Thanks for the answers.

I know it's hard when you don't have logs or the hardware & software infront of you Smile
I don't play HDR or 4K media atm because I can't get the colours right, looks bad but when the time comes I will replace my GFX when needed. 
Got tired of my old computer and decided it was time to upgrade it and now I have. It was a bit of a hustle but it's up and running finally!

Played around a little in KODI today and also found that Video setting - View mode was set to Zoom, now set to Normal as it should.
Rendering method both works with Pixelshade and Software. DXVA2 only produces lots of stuttering regardless other settings.
Everything seems to be working as it should now. It's not a perfect sync but it's very good enough. Getting 1 skip or 1 drop every 30 minutes or so and often I don't even catch it with my eyes.

I think my drives getting worn by heat if I'm allowed to guess. I hope my new setup will be a bit better now.

Thanks.
thanks timebandit, this solved my issue: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=363200
Thread marked solved.