Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Does DTS-MA / Dolby TrueHD passthrough work on AMD cards?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently upgraded my home theater PC with An AMD 6700XT card with dual HDMI 2.1 ports. My old card was Nvidia from 2017.

I am able to get video hardware acceleration working but TrueHD audio and DTS-MA audio passthrough do not work. Both worked fine with my old Nvidia card.
Both are enabled in Kodi 19.1-6. I am running in Kodi Standalone mode on Linux Arch.
I have tried many other linux distros and its the same result.
I have tried both AMD open source and closed source drivers. Same issue.

I dont use Pulseaudio at all as it doesnt support TrueHD / DTS-MA passthrough.
I use just ALSA.

Has anyone got it working with an AMD card before?
Just trying to narrow down if it is specific to AMD or maybe just the new card I have.

Thanks.
my apologies for duplicate post.  I am new to this forum and I thought I could go back and fix a spelling mistake but when I couldn't find it, I thought I could create a new post and delete the old one but am not seeing an option for that either.
Does the output of aplay -L list your AMD card?
(2021-08-23, 10:08)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]Does the output of aplay -L list your AMD card?

Hi black_eagle.  Yes it does.
It lists 6 HDMI cards:
HDMI 0,1,2,3,4,5
All reference my AMD card as: HDA ATI HDMI.
Just for some more details:
It passes DTS-HD 5.1 content no problem to my receiver.
It also passed Dolby Digital (AC-3) 5.1 content no problem to my receiver.
Other formats like FLAC or two channel audio also work.
Its only the higher quality DTS-MA and True-HD that isn't working.
Note: I can't confirm if Dolby Atmos or DTS-X/DTS-X Pro work or not, as I don't have a receiver capable of processing that audio format yet.
(2021-08-23, 03:49)cspadijer Wrote: [ -> ]I recently upgraded my home theater PC with An AMD 6700XT card with dual HDMI 2.1 ports. My old card was Nvidia from 2017.

I am able to get video hardware acceleration working but TrueHD audio and DTS-MA audio passthrough do not work. Both worked fine with my old Nvidia card.
Both are enabled in Kodi 19.1-6. I am running in Kodi Standalone mode on Linux Arch.

I use just ALSA.

Just trying to narrow down if it is specific to AMD or maybe just the new card I have.

Thanks.

Hi

Let me save you time and effort trying to find out this answer.

*Your AMD card in your PC wont pass TrueHD (Atmos) / DTS-MA (DTS-X) passthrough via ALSA on Linux.

I purchased a Intel Nuc Haydes Canyon i7 earlier in the year with the better Vega AMD graphics chip for a upgrade over my trusty lower powered NUC i use for kodi and i quickly found out just like you that TrueHD / DTS-MA passthrough via ALSA does not work on Linux with kodi on the AMD graphics chips at all.

The problem is not the graphics card being capable of passing HD audio via the HDMI, the problem is that on most AMD cards its not HD audio compliant via HDMI on Linux, hence why i had to send my Haydes NUC back after just 2 days after having realised and figured out it just doesn't work.

You need to look for the HD audio compliant certification for HDMI audio this is usually built in software for the graphics card via drivers and is usually advertised in sellers listings as HD Audio 7.1 etc.

On Linux when using Kodi, Intel and maybe Nvidia are the main options for HD audio via HDMI i.e TrueHD (Atmos) / DTS-MA (DTS-X) passthrough via ALSA so your receiver can decode the correct signal.

Intel's section on HDMI Audio (HD) from NUC technical manual.

Possible Solutions..

(1). Another solution is to buy a system with dual graphics Dedicated/Integrated usually in this setup you will have a integrated Intel graphics chip (New Intel integrated graphic chips should be capable of passing HD audio over HDMI) and a dedicated graphics card of your choice, this is the best of both worlds but can be quite an expensive route to take if you also purchase a dedicated graphics cards.

Example system = Intel i5 Ghost Canyon Extreme NUC Mini PC Kit 9 - (SPECS)
(Graphics - Intel UHD 630 or Dual Slot 8" Discrete Graphics)

(2). Buy a cheap newer model Intel NUC (2019 onwards)

Regards.
(2021-08-30, 01:41)streamlove55 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-08-23, 03:49)cspadijer Wrote: [ -> ]I recently upgraded my home theater PC with An AMD 6700XT card with dual HDMI 2.1 ports. My old card was Nvidia from 2017.

I use just ALSA.

Thanks.

Hi

Let me save you time and effort trying to find out this answer.

*Your AMD card in your PC wont pass TrueHD (Atmos) / DTS-MA (DTS-X) passthrough via ALSA on Linux.

I purchased a Intel Nuc Haydes Canyon i7 earlier in the year with the better Vega AMD graphics chip for a upgrade over my trusty lower powered NUC i use for kodi and i quickly found out just like you that TrueHD / DTS-MA passthrough via ALSA does not work on Linux with kodi on the AMD graphics chips at all.

The problem is not the graphics card being capable of passing HD audio via the HDMI, the problem is that on most AMD cards its not HD audio compliant via HDMI on Linux, hence why i had to send my Haydes NUC back after just 2 days after having realised and figured out it just doesn't work.

You need to look for the HD audio compliant certification for HDMI audio this is usually built in software for the graphics card via drivers and is usually advertised in sellers listings as HD Audio 7.1 etc.

On Linux when using Kodi, Intel and maybe Nvidia are the main options for HD audio via HDMI i.e TrueHD (Atmos) / DTS-MA (DTS-X) passthrough via ALSA so your receiver can decode the correct signal.

Intel's section on HDMI Audio (HD) from NUC technical manual.

Possible Solutions..

(1). Another solution is to buy a system with dual graphics Dedicated/Integrated usually in this setup you will have a integrated Intel graphics chip (New Intel integrated graphic chips should be capable of passing HD audio over HDMI) and a dedicated graphics card of your choice, this is the best of both worlds but can be quite an expensive route to take if you also purchase a dedicated graphics cards.

Example system = Intel i5 Ghost Canyon Extreme NUC Mini PC Kit 9 - (SPECS)
(Graphics - Intel UHD 630 or Dual Slot 8" Discrete Graphics)

(2). Buy a cheap newer model Intel NUC (2019 onwards)

Regards.

Thanks Streamlove55.
I am working with AMD right now.
Its a Linux specific issue as I temporarily installed Windows 10 and passthrough DTS-MA / Dolby TrueHD works without issue.

My only concern is this a AMD driver issue in Linux or is it something with Kodi on Linux for AMD.
I need to try some other software like VLC or Mplayer and see if it works on those.
(2021-09-08, 16:43)cspadijer Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Streamlove55.
I am working with AMD right now.
Its a Linux specific issue as I temporarily installed Windows 10 and passthrough DTS-MA / Dolby TrueHD works without issue.

My only concern is this a AMD driver issue in Linux or is it something with Kodi on Linux for AMD.
I need to try some other software like VLC or Mplayer and see if it works on those.

* This is not a issue with kodi as your only using kodi in this instance to pass the signal to your audio system (Passthrough) at which point its then decoded by your audio system also VLC Mplayer or any other player wont work as its a HD audio standards issue over HDMI which means the code has to be built into the graphics and then accessed via the Linux drivers.

Usually HD HDMI audio is built in software for the graphics card and is accessed by Linux via drivers either open source or proprietary so until AMD update the code for their drivers to work with HD audio over HDMI on Linux there is not much Linux or kodi can do,

The weird thing is AMD chips actually have the HD audio over HDMI fully functioning on windows (HDA) but will only actually pass a compressed 7.1 surround stream on Linux but not the HD surround standard which is needed to pass TrueHD (Atmos) / DTS-MA (DTS-X) passthrough via ALSA,

Its a bit of a (P.I.T.A) but I'm sure AMD will correct this small oversight on Linux eventually they have started to heavily invest more development into their Linux drivers since a few years ago and they have improved considerably since the early days on Linux.

Regards
Just an update on this.
I was able to narrow down that this is indeed a Kodi issue.

I recently installed mpv on ubuntu and past the following settings to it:
mpv --vo=vaapi --fs=yes --audio-device='alsa/hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=2' --audio-spdif=ac3,eac3,dts-hd,truehd <mkv filename>

after doing so my receiver lights up and displays on screen the format coming in is "Dolby TrueHD" 8 channels (7.1)
I tested on MKVs with DTS Master Audio as well and it passed the format properly as well.

How do I report this to Kodi team to fix/investigate?

Note:  I temporarily created a playercorefactory.xml and have Kodi call mpv to play all content.
You need to put the xml file under ~/.kodi/userdata/ folder
If anyone is interested, this is what its contents look like for my configuration:

<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="MPV" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
      <filename>/usr/bin/mpv</filename>
      <args>--vo=vaapi --screen=0 --fs=yes --audio-device='alsa/hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=2' --audio-spdif=ac3,eac3,dts-hd,truehd "{1}"</args>
      <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
    </player>
  </players>
  <rules action="prepend">
    <rule video="true" player="MPV"/>
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>
I am currently running ubuntu 21.10 with kodi 19.3 using alsa only(pulseaudio removed) and wayland. I'm using a gigabyte m/b GA-F2A78M  and a A10-7890k apu. desktop resolution set at 1080p 120hz and truehd and dts-ma passthough to receiver. I dont have an atmos receiver so I cant comment on that, and I dont have the internet bandwith and speed to stream 4k.
Hi,

I did encounter same problem as you did in Ubuntu 22.04 (Gnome + Wayland).
But I found out after disabling Wayland, then use Xorg instead, the problem is solved perfectly.

My hardware configuration is: ASRock Deskmini X300 + AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, with Onkyo TX-L50 home theater receiver.