Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: viewing NAS movies offline
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everybody,

when I am traveling I have my tablet or notebook with me. Both with Windows and Kodi v19.
Often (or in Germany rather usually) there is only poor mobile network or WLAN. I would like to download before my trip at home some movies or TV series, so that I can watch them comfortably on the road interruptfei. Is this possible in any way?

My movies are all on my own NAS (access via ftp or sftp).
So far I download the episodes manually in Explorer on my device (laptop or tablet) and then watch them of course not via the Kodi (rather VLC, because much easier) and check off at home the episodes manually again.
Is it possible to do this directly in Kodi? Temporarily download the video so I can watch it directly from the Kodi library?

Thanks a lot,
Crys
Copy the ones you want onto a suitable sized USB stick or portable drive and take that with you?

You can then plug it into your laptop or tablet, and use either VLC or Kodi (using videos>files) and watch away from the stick/drive.

It won't be via the library, but you can still watch them as individual files, and if you don't scrape them (which you won't be able to if you're offline) then they won't be added as duplicates in your library either.
(2021-08-23, 17:35)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]Copy the ones you want onto a suitable sized USB stick or portable drive and take that with you?
This is exactly the awkward procedure I described above and would like to avoid Laugh
(2021-08-23, 20:36)Crys Wrote: [ -> ]This is exactly the awkward procedure I described above and would like to avoid

How else would you want to view your videos, taking the poor mobile network and/or wlan into account?
(2021-08-23, 20:59)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]How else would you want to view your videos, taking the poor mobile network and/or wlan into account?

My most favorite?
Open Kodi, select movies or series, checkmark to watch offline, then it downloads ... hours later I open my Kodi offline and can continue my movie or series where I left off Cool
No, you can't do that in Kodi as that's not really what it's designed for in terms of usage case.

The "awkward procedure" is the only way to do it, at least without some kind of network solution and remote access back to your home network which you report as not having access to.