Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Missing suspend option in Kodi menu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I've got a little mini PC which I've been using Kodi on. 

I'd like it to go into suspend mode after 2 hours but I cannot see any option for suspend or hibernate in the Kodi power options. Although sleep is available as an option in the start menu.

Is there a setting to enable suspend?

OS is Win 10 
&
Kodi version is 18.9

Thank you in advance for any help.
(2021-08-23, 18:50)TWolf888 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a setting to enable suspend?
This function is skin related, in the Transparency! skin is a 'suspend' (along with hibernate) function in the shutdown menu and it seems to work. Settings/System/Power saving (wiki) likely to be a combination of 1.2 Shutdown function timer and 1.3 Shutdown function. This link may provide a bit of info https://kodi.tv/article/skinners-can-sus...hibernate/
Hi PatK,

Thank you for reply, appreciate any help. 

I've just had a look at the skin settings (I'm using Kodi default skin Estuary) but unfortunately cannot see any option to enable "suspend". 

I've double checked these settings in the link below also.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System/Power_saving

However the "suspend" option is definitely missing.

It's strange as I have Kodi 18.9 on 4 computers, using the default Estuary skin and it's only on the mini PC that the "suspend" & "hibernate" options are missing. I don't think I did anything different when installing Kodi on the mini PC. Plus the "sleep" option is definitely available on the mini PC in the taskbar and works when needed.

Is there anything else in settings which might be preventing the "suspend" option from showing in Kodi?

Thank you in advance for any further help.
In settings/system [advanced or expert mode] you should have a power saving option and under 'shutdown function' you will have 'suspend' as a choice on exit. Otherwise a different skin may afford opportunities.
Hi PatK,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately this all I have in screenshot below in regards to options in settings/system.

However will try a different skin to see if I can get "suspend" to show up as an option.

FTW: Depending on your hardware, the Power Options menu may have more or less options, and from this I take it that Kodi sniffs the hardware and offers the functions that is reported. Looking at some messages, it appears these options are offered in \addons\skin.estuary\xml\DialogButtonMenu.xml with some discussions. If you want to experiment, make a back up copy of that file.
Hi PatK,

Thank you again for your help with this. 

So I checked the following path you suggested "\addons\skin.estuary\xml\DialogButtonMenu.xml" in the Kodi installation where the standby option is missing and looked over the xml file in notepad. 

Then thought to check the same path on another Kodi installation where standby is definitely working/showing in the Kodi menu.

Turns out both files are identical with the standby entry showing as visible, so I'm really unsure what's going on. 

Are there any other possibilities or scenarios (anything Windows 10 related, permissions etc) where the standby option might be prevented from showing in the Kodi power menu? 

Normally I'd just leave it be, but I'm looking to put my main Kodi server into sleep when not in use to save electricity. At the moment I've selected the power option "Try to wake up remote servers on access" on the client Kodi. Which in turn wakes the Kodi server and it's working well. However no sooner the Kodi server enters standby it literally wakes again, so I'm assuming I need to put the client/problematic Kodi into standby when not in use to prevent it keeping the server Kodi on 24/7?

Many thanks in advance for any further help you can offer.
(2021-08-23, 18:50)TWolf888 Wrote: [ -> ]I've got a little mini PC which I've been using Kodi on. 

Is this an actual x86-64 PC, where you installed Kodi yourself, or is it one of those ready-to-go "Kodi boxes"?
I'm just wondering because the power window in your screenshot looks a little "off". Or maybe you did some other skin tinkering already?
Hi Klojum,

Thank you for your message, appreciate any help getting this working.

I think it's by ACEPC (it's the size of a small Android box) with an Atom Z8350 inside, runs Kodi well but that's about it. Have attached it to the back of the TV set using a Vesa bracket.

I've installed Kodi myself as it arrived with just Windows 10 on it. Although it did seem like they'd made changes to the OS compared to a normal installation of Win 10, as remember having to enable some options which were missing. 

I haven't made any changes to the skin myself other than in the actual menu choosing menu items "Weather, TV etc", as it's the first time I've looked in the xml.
Just put Kodi into debug mode, restart it, wait for everything to load and then upload the debug log (wiki) to a pastebin and post a link to it.  Log will show what Kodi sees as power options.  If your OS doesn't support suspend/sleep then neither will Kodi.