Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Updating album from MP3 to FLAC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If I wanted to update an existing album in my library that was originally ripped in MP3 format to FLAC, is it just a simple case of deleting the original MP3 version then replacing with the new FLAC version, then selecting update library?
Or would this result in two library entries being created, one MP3 and one FLAC, even though the MP3 files have now been deleted?
Haven't tried doing anything at the moment, as I didn't want to cause any problems to my current library.
Any guidance, feedback would be much appreciated.
Cheers
(2021-09-20, 20:56)Dumyat Wrote: [ -> ]Or would this result in two library entries being created, one MP3 and one FLAC, even though the MP3 files have now been deleted?

You can either delete the mp3 files from the Kodi GUI, so that the library entries are removed as well (recommended),
or you remove the mp3 files from your file server, and do a Clean Music Library action.

As the flac files are considered new files (with their own extension), you can easily scan them.
(2021-09-20, 22:15)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-09-20, 20:56)Dumyat Wrote: [ -> ] 
You can either delete the mp3 files from the Kodi GUI, so that the library entries are removed as well (recommended),
or you remove the mp3 files from your file server, and do a Clean Music Library action.
Thanks very much for the guidance and feedback.
I think trying to delete the mp3 files from the Kodi GUI is definitely where I've gone awry previously when attempting to remove a particular album, as I couldn't find anywhere on the Kodi GUI that says remove album or something similar (Like you get when removing movies or TV shows). I'm only seeing the below options when I bring the context menu:-

Think I need to update myself a bit more on wiki. In the meantime, your 2nd suggestion is sounding like the easier option  Smile
Cheers
I never used the music section all that much, I assumed it worked similarly as in the video section. But apparently you must delete music stuff via the Music/Files section, and then you have a Delete option in the context menu. And do a Clean Library action after that.
Yeah, either delete the actual files, or just move them out of the music source path and run Clean library.  Then add the new files.  You can either do a scan at this point or just navigate via settings->media->music->your music source until you get to the flac version of the album and then choose "scan item to library" which will just add that album back.
Great stuff guys!....Many thanks for the info.
Discovered another little thing over weekend, when I wanted to change the genre on a particular album. Just updated the genre tag using Mp3tag, then selected 'Update Library' and new genre was pulled into Kodi.
@black_eagle would 'Update Library' also work after I've cleaned the library, then added the new files.....Or do I make sure to select 'Scan item to library'?
@Dumyat Either will work.  If I've only added one or two albums then I just navigate to them and use scan to library as it's quicker given the amount of files I have than update library.  But that's just a personal preference thing really.