Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: chinese characters won't display properly on keyboard
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello guys I am fairly new to Kodi and I would like to know how to type chinese in Kodi? My movie collection is getting big so I would like to some of my movie sets to be named and searched in chinese. Currently I am using my default skin, font switched to arial based, character set switched to chinese simplified(gbk). 
btw i can switch the system language to chinese and it works perfectly. 
here is a screenshot of my current setting and keyboard:
https://imgur.com/a/zaMHESx

fyi im running Kodi v19.1 (Matrix) on win10

Thanks in advance!
(2021-09-26, 19:10)kai943 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello guys I am fairly new to Kodi and I would like to know how to type chinese in Kodi? My movie collection is getting big so I would like to some of my movie sets to be named and searched in chinese. Currently I am using my default skin, font switched to arial based, character set switched to chinese simplified(gbk). 
btw i can switch the system language to chinese and it works perfectly. 
here is a screenshot of my current setting and keyboard:
https://imgur.com/a/zaMHESx

fyi im running Kodi v19.1 (Matrix) on win10

Thanks in advance!
It looks like your issue is the same as Kodi issue #17168.  That issue seemed to have not been resolved; not clear why not.  I will update that issue to point to this thread.

scott s.
I tested the fix in Kodi v20 nightly and it now works.  Baidu api is removed as it no longer works.  The basic pinyin keyboard entry method now works in Windows.  The same fix has since been included in the current Kodi v19 nightly, haven't tested but should be identical.

As an aside, there is probably room for some improvement for Chinese text input, but that will require users to provide a priority wish list.

For example, using pinyin to input traditional script, or using bopomofo input.
Improved language identifiers, for example adding Cantonese, Mandarin, Gan etc instead of or in addition to  the macro language "Chinese" (zho).

Adding script subtag from IETF BCP 47 instead of assuming script from the region subtag (i.e. yue-Hant-HK).

scott s.