Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Synology DS214se
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi i am very new with these drives and would like to ask when you add your movies to the server do you have to add all movies example under movies or can you add different folders for different movies . do the makers of these drives see what you are looking at in your collection . and will it go through kodi as i am running win 10 kodi matrix 19
thanks for your advice
The normal recommendation is to have one or more source folders for your movies (and similar separate ones for TV shows). In the movies folder, the recommended way is to have a sub-folder for each movie, with each one containing the media file for the movie (the actual .mkv or .mp4 file etc) plus any related metadata files like posters etc. It is possible to keep all movies in one folder (or a mixture of folders) if you want to do so, but it's up to you. For movies everything is scanned recursively anyway, so the only reason for the single folder per movie recommendation is to keep the metadata files separate.

For details of that, see the wiki - https://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files/Movies

As to what the makers see, generally speaking no the NAS supplier/maker won't see anything. At least that's the public view of it, as to the reality it would depend on how paranoid you are... Wink
Certainly from our side we make no data gathering on who watches what etc in Kodi.
many thanks for your reply , the reason why i was asking is that i have my movies on a seperate hd . named new movies for up to date ones . single movies for oldish ones .movie collections . and adult movies . i have started to upload to the synlogy drive my movies but when i look on the server it says no bytes . now in order to play my movies from a server what application would be best apart from kodi . and would the movie details show like all artwork etc . up like it does on kodi as i am thinking of my movie collection more than the others i have looked around and seen plex but unsure if it would meet my needs . thanks again for your advice
Plex is OK for playing (you should be able to install a Plex server on the NAS) or if you just want a video player, many people recommend VLC. There are numerous other media players out there (depending on which OS the local computer or TV you're using for video playback runs), but those are the most common.

Both can be used either alongside or in place of Kodi - exactly how you want to set things up is up to you. They all have different advantages and disadvantages. Which solution works for you is something you'll of course have to decide, but you can download them all for free and try them out (and of course there's nothing to stop you using some or all in parallel - that's what I do).

Plex will scrape metadata in much the same way that Kodi does, but VLC is more or less just a media player and is more designed to simply play the files.

All of the options above can cope with multiple source folders for the media, so splitting things into collections on the NAS is no real issue.
hi many thanks for your help and advice i will see how i get on with the new drive thanks again