Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Playing smartphone "vertical" videos
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First time poster, and my username indicates the condition I usually find myself in  Smile

In spite of my constant advice, counsel, and encouragement, my wife, kids, and grandkids insist on making videos by holding their iPhone or Android vertically.  When I play those videos using KODI on a Windows 10 PC the videos play correctly in the correct orientation, although they're obviously tall and skinny.  However, when I play them using KODI on an Android TV device, they're rotated 90 derees for some reason.

I might also add that they play correctly on the PC using Microsoft Windows apps such as Windows Media Player, Movies & TV, and Photos.   However, other apps such as VLC, PLEX, and JRiver don't play them correctly.  They also rotate them 90 degrees for some reason on both the PC and Android TV device.

I feel like this is an issue that's probably been discussed before, but I searched the forum and couldn't find anything.  If KODI would play the videos on the Android TV device in the same orientation as it plays them on the Windows PC, I wouldn't have a problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_playback#Video_Settings

----------------------
Orientation
    Used to rotate the image in 90° steps. Useful for videos created on a smart phone in Portrait mode.
----------------------

So you could adjust the video via OSD Settings > "Video Setting" > "Orientation"
Interesting.  When the video begins to play using default orientation "from the metadata", the frame that the video is displayed in has portrait orientation, which is correct, but the actual video inside the frame is rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise.  When I use the KODI video settings orientation to rotate it 90 degrees, the orientation of the frame changes to landscape, which I would expect, but the video inside the frame doesn't change.  It's still rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise.  The same thing happens if I rotate it 180 or 270 degrees.  The frame rotates, but the video does not.
Any other ideas?
(2021-10-26, 18:34)Dazed and Confused Wrote: [ -> ]Any other ideas?

Put your TV on a rotation point like PC monitors have, and apply manual rotation when necessary.
Also put in a bug report for Kodi 20, so things can be tackled properly.