Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi video files info not updating with new files of same name
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Need some help on figuring out how to fix the below issue. I am running the latest Kodi 19.2 on my Nvidia Shield Pro 2020 Using it with My 55" LG Oled CX, connected via HDMI Cable. The problem below has happened on all versions of kodi i have had for past 2 years. I have all my movies on an Ext HDD which i plug into the USB Port of the shield.

for past 1 year - 18months or so i have noticed something quite annoying with kodi on my Android 2020 Shield, but just been putting up with it as i could not seem to find out why it was happening, so now i'm asking if anyone has noticed this or having same issue. Its relating to having a 720p encoded movie and then if i upgrade/replace that movie with a 1080p movie of the exact same name the video info specs stay the same as whatever the fist name was.

so let say i have a movie called The Legend Of Bagger Vance and the video specs at the bottom of the screen on kodi when you scroll through to that movie are the following:

02.06.18, H264, 720HD, 2.35, Dolby, 5.1

now i want to upgrade the move to a higher resolution ( example: from 720p to 1080p ) so i get the movie in 1080p and i put it into the folder where the 720p version is and overwrite it with the new 1, well after doing that the specs of the movie still stay the same , saying its 02.06.18, H264, 720HD, 2.35, Dolby, 5.1 etc.....  it still says 720HD and not the new dimensions 1080HD it does this with every single movie i replace with new ones that have the exact same name, The only fix i found which i did for a while but became annoying was to change the name of the movie by adding a gap or dot ect.. then the new specs are would be displayed correctly. but i dont want to add a dot or space somewhere, as i want the name to be displayed as it is. even if i delete the 720p movie first , then put in the new 1080p movie in that same folder it will still display the previous files specs still, saying 720p.  even the thumbnail screenshot to the left of the menu keeps the 720p 2.35 aspect dimensions.  so if the original movie The Legend Of Bagger Vance was 720p and aspect of 2.35 , and i replace it with a new 1080 16x9 ( open Matte ) version then the thumbnail still shows the 2.35 aspect not updating it. the only way i found a fix was to completely uninstall kodi and reinstall it then all the movie spec would refresh correctly, but as u know you cant keep doing this each time u get a new movie in 1080p.

to reproduce this error you should be able to check for this on your kodi simply make a 1 minute 720p movie sample call it anything you want "Movie 1" , then re-encode it to 1080p put that file into the same place the 720p file is and over write it , then u should see what i am talking about hopefully. or i can upload a sample file if i work out how to upload here.

i dont know how to produce those log files everyone talks about, you may also be able to reproduce this issue with any movie you have that is 720p 2.35 aspect, and find another movie you already have that is 1080p  or 1080p 16x9 aspect and just rename it , so u can see what im talking about.
(2021-10-12, 01:52)moonwalker7 Wrote: [ -> ]if i upgrade/replace that movie with a 1080p movie of the exact same name the video info specs stay the same as whatever the fist name was.
Yes, that is expected. If you are swapping out files, Kodi has no idea what you have done.
But when you play the movie, the on-screen display will show the correct stream details as this screen reads it directly from the file, whereas library listings read from the database along with all the other info.

You need to force Kodi to see the changes. So perform a Refresh and Kodi will delete the existing stream details from the database and read the new details from the new file.
(2021-10-12, 02:54)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-10-12, 01:52)moonwalker7 Wrote: [ -> ]if i upgrade/replace that movie with a 1080p movie of the exact same name the video info specs stay the same as whatever the fist name was.
Yes, that is expected. If you are swapping out files, Kodi has no idea what you have done.
But when you play the movie, the on-screen display will show the correct stream details as this screen reads it directly from the file, whereas library listings read from the database along with all the other info.

You need to force Kodi to see the changes. So perform a Refresh and Kodi will delete the existing stream details from the database and read the new details from the new file.
ok i will try, can u explain how i do this refresh. ?  do u mean uninstall , then reinstall Kodi ? or is there another option im missing?
(2021-10-12, 03:35)moonwalker7 Wrote: [ -> ]can u explain how i do this refresh
https://kodi.wiki/view/Basic_controls#Information_Page
On the information page, scroll the bottom row of buttons until you get to Refresh. Press it and it will rescrape the movie again.
(2021-10-12, 03:51)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-10-12, 03:35)moonwalker7 Wrote: [ -> ]can u explain how i do this refresh
https://kodi.wiki/view/Basic_controls#Information_Page
On the information page, scroll the bottom row of buttons until you get to Refresh. Press it and it will rescrape the movie again.
i have no such info page, and definitely no options anywhere for scraping, my files are all on Ext HDD, not internet related and not streamed. maybe this is why i dont see it ?
(2021-10-12, 04:17)moonwalker7 Wrote: [ -> ]i have no such info page, and definitely no options anywhere for scraping
Oh, so you haven't scraped the movies into the library. Are you just accessing the video files from Videos>Files?
(2021-10-12, 04:20)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-10-12, 04:17)moonwalker7 Wrote: [ -> ]i have no such info page, and definitely no options anywhere for scraping
Oh, so you haven't scraped the movies into the library. Are you just accessing the video files from Videos>Files?

on the main home page underneath the power & settings button, there a movies tab, i select that , then my HDD, then all my movies are there listed in there folders, action, comedy adventure etc...
(2021-10-12, 04:23)moonwalker7 Wrote: [ -> ]on the main home page underneath the power & settings button, there a movies tab, i select that , then my HDD, then all my movies are there listed in there folders, action, comedy adventure etc...
Ok, so you haven't scraped the movies into the library. You are just accessing the files directly.

Hmmm, that is a problem. There is no easy way to clear that.
I have made a report here... https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/1870...-940613625
You should monitor it for responses.

Currently the only two ways to fix that are:
1. edit the database directly. Are you familiar with SQL databases?
2. name the new file with a slightly different name, so Kodi sees it as a new file.

Is there a reason you do not scrape into the library?
I will monitor that link.

I have previously done the slightly renaming of the file by adding a space to the end before the "dot".mkv and that works but will no longer do it as bit annoying to do it all the time to newly added files.

And scraping i know nothing about it At all. Is it possible to do the scraping with the way i have my setup. I watch them Directly off hdd as u mentioned above.

If yhere is ill need a very basic step by step instructions.

And not firmilar with SQL data base.

If thare is a file i can see and edit myself. And is easy to locate and do myself i can try that too if provided instructions.
(2021-10-12, 05:33)moonwalker7 Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to do the scraping with the way i have my setup
I am not sure of your setup. How you have named the files and the folder structure are important.
Have a look at this step-by-step guide here... https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library
For movies, follow steps 1, 2, 3 & 6
(2021-10-12, 05:43)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-10-12, 05:33)moonwalker7 Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to do the scraping with the way i have my setup
I am not sure of your setup. How you have named the files and the folder structure are important.
Have a look at this step-by-step guide here... https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library
For movies, follow steps 1, 2, 3 & 6
i took a read of all that, started off sort of ok, but got too much for me , i dont want to risk stuffing anything.  i may just have to continue to put up with it. 

i saw a few reply's in that Github forum you've posted it in,  you mentioned "User is just browsing movies through file tree"  is that what its called the way i am doing it.  My files on Ext HDD, movies tab icon in Kodi,  then my HDD is shown and then each genre is separated into folders , eg: a action folder for all action movies, comedy folder for all comedy movies etc...
(2021-10-13, 08:25)moonwalker7 Wrote: [ -> ]is that what its called the way i am doing it.
Yep, as far as I can see, you are accessing your files directly on your HDD. Like using Windows Explorer.
So you are not utilising any of the library features of Kodi. It is just a dummy player.