Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Win][v19+] Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
(2022-01-23, 20:31)K0D1User1138 Wrote: [ -> ]What process makes this upgrade possible? Are you reformatting the videos into a MVC file or is it something Kodi is doing? If I can make all my SBS vidoes into MVC then I won't need to care about SBS anymore.

You will care... it looks like only 1 specific sbs file is causing me this issue - when i try the sbs sample from  here it is working fine for me (both as sbs and also with the new scale to mvc feature). My guess is that the refactor the kodi dev team done to the audio stack in kodi 19.2 or 19.3 broke some files.

In my case -  Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: ac3, 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp, 64 kb/s (default) - seems to be related to the issue.
To see the log message above you need to enable kodi's extended event log from the system menu.
(2022-01-23, 22:29)udobroemme Wrote: [ -> ]Afaik a 3d framepacked image contains both views one above the other with a 45 pixels gap between them. This results to an image of 1920x2205 pixels. So if an sbs/ou video is rescaled by Kodi to this particular size with the 45 pixels gap, the display should auto switch to 3D.
See https://www.avsforum.com/threads/3d-form...m.1301544/
scaling was not enough, you also need to recreate the DX textures and surfaces... long story short, it was already mostly implemented in kodi's core but i had to add some logic to make it work it. In the future, enabling the "auto-control 3d display" and selecting "hardware  based" as the preferred mode will change the flow.
Additionally, choosing the "auto-control 3d display" will always show the "hardware based" for selection in the preferred mode - regardless of the Windows' 3D display status or even if 3D display is even supported on the system. In any event, if enabling the 3D display fails, it will automatically revert to auto mode and use SBS for SBS or HTAB/OU for either MVC or HTAB/OU.
Sorry I'm not following along with a lot of the technical talk (which is appreciated) so I want to ask what the end goal for you is? To have Kodi display MVC, SBS, HTAB etc all working (as it seemed to back in Kodi 16). 

I'm still waiting/hoping for some basic things to be added (ha) to Kodi that would make using it pretty much an end game and take away a few annoyances. Support for extra natively built in and not needing to rely upon an outdate and unsupported add-on. Individual item export, not full library each and every single time. Did finally get automatic scraping of extra artwork so maybe there is still hope before 19 is turfed for more "improvements" which completely break the reason I found XBMC/Kodi in the first place.
(2022-01-23, 23:25)K0D1User1138 Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry I'm not following along with a lot of the technical talk (which is appreciated) so I want to ask what the end goal for you is? To have Kodi display MVC, SBS, HTAB etc all working (as it seemed to back in Kodi 16). 

I'm still waiting/hoping for some basic things to be added (ha) to Kodi that would make using it pretty much an end game and take away a few annoyances. Support for extra natively built in and not needing to rely upon an outdate and unsupported add-on. Individual item export, not full library each and every single time. Did finally get automatic scraping of extra artwork so maybe there is still hope before 19 is turfed for more "improvements" which completely break the reason I found XBMC/Kodi in the first place.

The sbs issue is not coming from the mvc code. Sbs and htab do not require the mvc patch so it should work with the official releases but it will fail for you as well. Try the sbs sample file which i linked earlier and you will find that sbs is working fine.
Bottom line, your sbs files contain audio streams which are considered faulty.
(2022-01-24, 07:19)damagedspline Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-01-23, 23:25)K0D1User1138 Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry I'm not following along with a lot of the technical talk (which is appreciated) so I want to ask what the end goal for you is? To have Kodi display MVC, SBS, HTAB etc all working (as it seemed to back in Kodi 16). 

The sbs issue is not coming from the mvc code. Sbs and htab do not require the mvc patch so it should work with the official releases but it will fail for you as well. Try the sbs sample file which i linked earlier and you will find that sbs is working fine.
Bottom line, your sbs files contain audio streams which are considered faulty.

What makes the audio streams faulty? How can every SBS file I have that work fine in Kodi 18 suddenly not work in Kodi 19? Something doesn't make sense here to me.
(2022-01-24, 21:43)K0D1User1138 Wrote: [ -> ]What makes the audio streams faulty? How can every SBS file I have that work fine in Kodi 18 suddenly not work in Kodi 19? Something doesn't make sense here to me.

the audio stream contains something faulty which breaks kodi - this is new to v19 because in 19.1-19.3 there were heavy changes to the audio side of kodi.
there are other regressions - for example tone mapping ( HDR to SDR) is broken with some files like this in which you will see pitch black video when using Hable or ACES algorithms for tone mapping in kodi. Explanation is that the metadata of the video stream contains invalid data and it break kodi. in our case, bad metadata for audio.

did you try the SBS sample i linked yesterday?
(2022-01-24, 21:55)damagedspline Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-01-24, 21:43)K0D1User1138 Wrote: [ -> ]What makes the audio streams faulty? How can every SBS file I have that work fine in Kodi 18 suddenly not work in Kodi 19? Something doesn't make sense here to me.

the audio stream contains something faulty which breaks kodi - this is new to v19 because in 19.1-19.3 there were heavy changes to the audio side of kodi.
there are other regressions - for example tone mapping ( HDR to SDR) is broken with some files like this in which you will see pitch black video when using Hable or ACES algorithms for tone mapping in kodi. Explanation is that the metadata of the video stream contains invalid data and it break kodi. in our case, bad metadata for audio.

did you try the SBS sample i linked yesterday?

I haven't done any testing for a couple weeks. I don't have immediate access to the setup I've been trying to get this to work on and when I do it's not always for an extended period of time.

How does one fix audio issues that Kodi 19 can't resolve? I have hundreds of SBS files and thus far any I've tested don't work.
(2022-01-24, 22:08)K0D1User1138 Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't done any testing for a couple weeks. I don't have immediate access to the setup I've been trying to get this to work on and when I do it's not always for an extended period of time.

How does one fix audio issues that Kodi 19 can't resolve? I have hundreds of SBS files and thus far any I've tested don't work.

That is why i asked about the audio stream which is recognized by the kodi version that is working for you... If your sbs files are avi or mkv, you can try to transcode the audio track.
Alternatively, you can replace the audio track entirely with another version of the movie of a higher bitrate like DTS-HD Master, DTS:X, Dolby Atmos or Dolby+.

If you are familiar with scripting you can automate these manual processes.
(2022-01-15, 18:06)damagedspline Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-01-14, 21:44)K0D1User1138 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-01-14, 17:48)robl45 Wrote: [ -> ]I have primarily been doing MVC through lav filters and Madvr and trust me, it struggles.  Same thing with X265.  I also would like to upgrade so that I could do 4K in the future.  So Ideally I like to find something that will work for both.
What is your overall system spec? As noted above I run a pretty basic older system and it plays 3D, most of it anyways, just fine. It won't do 4K but so far from what I've read there's little chance to get both full MVC and full 4K in a single machine because of manufacturer's reasons. That sucks, and sadly 3D does also seem to be slipping away as well, but for now why not get something simple that works and then in the future look for something that does what you need at that time? Believe me, the worst thing about this entire hobby is the hours or time spent just trying to get things to work!

I ordered this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z8TSXCF?ref...b_ap_share produce both 4k and 3d but suffers by the rendering issue discussed by @thalawnet above. As i said, traced the issue, made a fix but not usable yet so didnt released it yet.

So after a lot of thought, it seems the best solution to this 3d problem is just to keep the machine I have for 3d or maybe a newer 1.4 machine and just get a completely separate machine that will do non 3d/4K etc and run on the main branch.    Then of course the biggest hassle is switching between both machines, but that seems easier than trying to find one machine that will do neither thing well.
Most of my SBS 3D content is movie trailers and various video bumpers for CinemaVision. Most are mastered through first editing the video in Adobe Premiere and then converting to 3D with MakeMe3D. The audio is simple AAC 2.0. The files are muxed to Mkv so they can have the proper header setting for SBS 3D. They all worked with Kodi 18/prior. 

If Kodi changed that much between versions to screw up playing SBS content with a fairly basic audio format that is just disappointing. The audio still plays. The video doesn't. I've not tested with any of the full length videos I have which are SBS. Those are a few documentaries where I could not find a MVC version. And Ammityville. 3D.
Pretty sure I have amityville in mvc. Jaws too
(2022-01-26, 04:06)K0D1User1138 Wrote: [ -> ]Most of my SBS 3D content is movie trailers and various video bumpers for CinemaVision. Most are mastered through first editing the video in Adobe Premiere and then converting to 3D with MakeMe3D. The audio is simple AAC 2.0. The files are muxed to Mkv so they can have the proper header setting for SBS 3D. They all worked with Kodi 18/prior. 

If Kodi changed that much between versions to screw up playing SBS content with a fairly basic audio format that is just disappointing. The audio still plays. The video doesn't. I've not tested with any of the full length videos I have which are SBS. Those are a few documentaries where I could not find a MVC version. And Ammityville. 3D.

Wait, this is different story.
Was the source before the conversation UHD HDR? What is the SBS resolution? What settings did you use to master the video stream?
(2022-01-26, 06:59)damagedspline Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-01-26, 04:06)K0D1User1138 Wrote: [ -> ]Most of my SBS 3D content is movie trailers and various video bumpers for CinemaVision. Most are mastered through first editing the video in Adobe Premiere and then converting to 3D with MakeMe3D. The audio is simple AAC 2.0. The files are muxed to Mkv so they can have the proper header setting for SBS 3D. They all worked with Kodi 18/prior. 

Wait, this is different story.
Was the source before the conversation UHD HDR? What is the SBS resolution? What settings did you use to master the video stream?

The source would usually be movie trailers on YouTube, downloaded and edited for garbage bumpers and such, volume adjusted in Premiere. Then exported as h.264 with 2 channel AAC audio. Imported into MakeMe3D to convert to SBS, mux to MKV and set the video header for 3D to 1.

Works fine in Kodi 16, 17, 18. Fails in Kodi 19. Here are 3 examples.

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022) Teaser 1 3D

Spider-Man No Way Home (2021) Teaser 1 3D

Spider-Man No Way Home (2021) Trailer 1 3D
All three files play just fine here with the Kodi Matrix mvc build. Kodi recognizes them as 3D SBS and switches correctly to 3D (Intel Kaby Lake, Win 21H2, latest Intel drivers).
(2022-01-27, 00:03)udobroemme Wrote: [ -> ]All three files play just fine here with the Kodi Matrix mvc build. Kodi recognizes them as 3D SBS and switches correctly to 3D (Intel Kaby Lake, Win 21H2, latest Intel drivers).

Thanks for testing. How did you find the image and 3D? I honestly just try to make it "good enough" as they are only trailers and don't need to be reference quality.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29