Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Videos have no sound and eventually hang via SMB. UPnP fine.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a drive connected to my router. Before 19.3, this was accessible as a SMB share in KODI. I did the update and SMB didn't seem available anymore. I saw the post about plugins in DEV mode, so enabled the MJH repository. I also went into services and enabled SMB support in Virtual File Services. I can see all my files and launch them. However, the videos will play for maybe 5-10 seconds and just hang indefinitely. They also always start with no audio as well.

If I set up access via UPnP, I don't have these issues but of course have different ones in terms of limited featureset (i.e. can't resume playback). I've seen some past threads suggest being able to set the share to SMB1 instead of SMB2/3, but I can't find an option for this either. 

I get a sense that SMB is borked this build. By chance anyone know of any workaround solutions?
I don't think Kodi supports SMB1, anyway -- only 2/3.
(2021-10-30, 22:22)Hamsterkill Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think Kodi supports SMB1, anyway -- only 2/3.

I get that - but this used to work with SMB before the update. Anything come to mind that could make it start having the above behavior only when done via SMB?
(2021-10-30, 22:22)Hamsterkill Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think Kodi supports SMB1, anyway -- only 2/3.

Kodi does support SMBv1, just not by default. SMBv1 has been deprecrated after the large number of security holes were finally recognized by Microsoft to be a full-blown security hazard.

(2021-10-31, 04:03)chodenode Wrote: [ -> ]Anything come to mind that could make it start having the above behavior only when done via SMB?

UPnP is not a standalone service in Kodi, it is based on previously scraped media items in Kodi's video and/or music library. Videos having no sound via SMB is weird, as SMB and any other file transport protocol will handle media files in their entirety, and not just a video or audio stream within that file. So I'm guessing you have other things going on. Start with providing Kodi's debug log (wiki) via a pastebin service, so we can perhaps troubleshoot the problem(s).
(2021-10-31, 09:19)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]

Kodi does support SMBv1, just not by default. SMBv1 has been deprecrated after the large number of security holes were finally recognized by Microsoft to be a full-blown security hazard.

Kodi supports it even on Xbox? It was my previous understanding the plugin Kodi uses for SMB on Xbox only supported SMB2/3. If that's incorrect, or no longer correct, I'm happy to be wrong on this.
I used to have this problem every so often, but I think I fixed it by keeping the audio device alive. Go to Settings > System > Audio > Set "Keep audio device alive" to always. After doing this, I haven't had this problem. Also make sure you disable video acceleration as this causes a weird green screen for anything that isn't x265.