Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: wiiremote, how?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Topfs2 Wrote:Any specific things that bothered you with the WiiRemote support? (besides not beeing able to start XBMC with it because that won't happen until Atlantis+1) Because if you have anything specific then please put a request on it on trac / here and I'll mend for it.

The keymap.xml have gone through some bugfixxes after I linked to yours, so if you want to update it you could try it Smile

Cheers.

Here's what I think.
I haven't tested it much at all, but I don't like it.
First of all, I never liked the cursor function on the wii, and I don't like it in xbmc. It's to much work to hold out your hand (can seam a little lacy but I'm probably watching the movie for that reason) and it's way to tricky to control it.

I also seam to be unable to pop out the movie controls. You know the cross-thing that shows when you move the mouse dooring movie playback.
The only thing I seam to be able to do in this mode, with the wiiremote, is to back out of the movie, leaving the movie playing and not being able to reenter the movie without restarting it. Unless I use the mouse of course.

The last thing I couldn't do with my previous, home brew, setup either, reenter a playing movie. Just for the record.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong here, or is this the way it is suppose to work?

This is how I'd like the buttons to be mapped. And no cursor.
wiibutton mapping
Up up
down down
left left
right right
A select #This will also bring the player controls out.
B play/pause #I don't know if they can be combined
- volume down
home PreviousMenu
+ volume up
1 skip next
2 skip previous

Well, thats what I think. Hope it helps in some way.
funkyjansson Wrote:This is how I'd like the buttons to be mapped. And no cursor.
wiibutton mapping
Up up
down down
left left
right right
- volume down
home PreviousMenu
+ volume up
1 skip next
2 skip previous

Hehe, I just tried that setup and it did not work as I thought it would. Sorry.
funkyjansson Wrote:Here's what I think.
I haven't tested it much at all, but I don't like it.
First of all, I never liked the cursor function on the wii, and I don't like it in xbmc. It's to much work to hold out your hand (can seam a little lacy but I'm probably watching the movie for that reason) and it's way to tricky to control it.

I also seam to be unable to pop out the movie controls. You know the cross-thing that shows when you move the mouse dooring movie playback.
The only thing I seam to be able to do in this mode, with the wiiremote, is to back out of the movie, leaving the movie playing and not being able to reenter the movie without restarting it. Unless I use the mouse of course.

The last thing I couldn't do with my previous, home brew, setup either, reenter a playing movie. Just for the record.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong here, or is this the way it is suppose to work?

This is how I'd like the buttons to be mapped. And no cursor.
wiibutton mapping
Up up
down down
left left
right right
- volume down
home PreviousMenu
+ volume up
1 skip next
2 skip previous

Well, thats what I think. Hope it helps in some way.

All buttons are mappable in Keymap.xml, so you can choose them however you want them.
With the mouse, it's by default on (Many wants it, I'm one of thoose that doesn't use it either but what can you do Smile ) but you can toggle it off by:
Code:
xbmc-wiiremote --disable-mouseemulation
You have tons of options (which will be available in atlantis+1 or atlantis+2 from XBMC gui instead of commandline) if you do:
Code:
xbmc-wiiremote --help
Here's the commands:
Quote:xbmc-wiiremote --help
Commands:
--disable-mouseemulation
--disable-reconnect
--disable-nunchuck
--address ADDRESS
--port PORT
--btaddr MACADDRESS
--deadzone-x DEADX | Number between 0 - 100 (Default: 50)
--deadzone-y DEADY | Number between 0 - 100 (Default: 30)
--deadzone DEAD | Sets both X and Y too the number
--smoothing-samples SAMPLE | Number 1 counts as Off (Default: 16)
--joystick-map JOYMAP | The string ID for the joymap (Default: WiiRemote)
Reenter a playing movie you just hit Homebutton twice, if your in home you'll only need to hit it once. I plan on creating a PDF at some point showing all the mappings because they all differ depending on which view your currently in.

For example navigation buttons is in FullscreenVideo playpause stop and skipforward/backward.
Usually I have nbr 2 as a negative button, meaning it usually deletes or alter the file.
Topfs2 Wrote:I plan on creating a PDF at some point showing all the mappings because they all differ depending on which view your currently in.

But you can only use the mouse and still be able to do everything, right?

Why can't it be the same with the wiiremote? So that every button always means the same thing in a way, but still has different results depending on where the marker is. Just like the mouse, in a general way right click always means right click. But it has different results depending on if I hold it over a delete button or an icon.

So, you navigate the marker with the arrows and selects with the a button and so on. My point is that there is play/pause in the menu, so you don't nead a hole button to always mean play/pause.

I know that it is like this like this to some extent today. But not completely.
At least I can't get the playback controls to pop out from the wiiremote, but maybe that is just me not having set it up correctly.

I don't know, these are just some thoughts from my side.
funkyjansson Wrote:But you can only use the mouse and still be able to do everything, right?

Why can't it be the same with the wiiremote? So that every button always means the same thing in a way, but still has different results depending on where the marker is. Just like the mouse, in a general way right click always means right click. But it has different results depending on if I hold it over a delete button or an icon.

So, you navigate the marker with the arrows and selects with the a button and so on. My point is that there is play/pause in the menu, so you don't nead a hole button to always mean play/pause.

I know that it is like this like this to some extent today. But not completely.
At least I can't get the playback controls to pop out from the wiiremote, but maybe that is just me not having set it up correctly.

I don't know, these are just some thoughts from my side.

Well I choose wiiremote to be recognised as a gamepad for the buttons and just the pointer is similiar to a mouse, main reason for this is that it is then mappable, which it's not if it were to mimic a mouse. And IMHO mappability is desperatly needed for a remote that has so few buttons.

(You can get to the OSD in a fullscreenvideo by pressing A) You can always mapp playercontrolls to a button you see fit in Keymap.xml if you'd like. XBMC.ActivateWindow(PlayerControls) is the action and it's by default mapped to Button 2, although in many windows this button is mapped to something more usefull.

Cheers
mythor Wrote:Using the hardy packages, connecting and using the wii-remote went really smooth. I love the simplicity.

I had some small problems though, while using the Keymap from the svn.

1) Go to music > on trying to select a directory, button A and B bring me back, so I'm not able to enter a directory.

2) While playing a video > press home; pointer works fine > then press videos > now i can only move the pointer in the upper left corner.

Except for there minor points, it works really well, nice job.

2) Is the usual mouse suffering the same as the WiiRemote in this regard because the WiiRemote eventclient shouldn't be able to decide were the mouseborders are. It can only send the coordinates and XBMC will translate them and put them on the screen, which means WiiRemote have no clue which window your in.
Hi
Iv'e been using the wii remote with alpha 4 for a while with no problems. After upgrading to beta1 on gutsy server the volume buttons dont work. I checked my keymap it seemed fine but i deleted it anyway and used the default beta1 keymap. It had the same issue.

I then booted the beta1 live from usb, started xbmc-wiiremote, connected and it also has the same issue.

Also when using my own keymap the buttons were mapped to differant fuctions in differant screens. For example the + button was mapped to info when not in fullscreen, this worked so i know the buttons are working, its just the volume thats not.

Anyone using beta1 seen this?

thanks
Yeah unfortuanatly there is some weird bugg in XBMC that is affecting the wiiremote. I haven't have the time to trac it down yet but I really hope I will get to it before gold.

Please open up a ticket for it were you state it working in alpha 4.

Thanks.

Tobias
ok, thanks
fixed in r15707.

Will be included in Gold and RC1.

Cheers, Tobias.
I have a problem with the wii remote. When I show XBMC on my monitor (connected via dvi) it works fine. But when I show XBMC on my TV (s-video) the wii remote cannot move the mouse pointer over the entire screen. It seems bounded to a small part of the screen.
Anyone knows why I get this behaviour?
BR
What OS?
Kubuntu 8.04
atlantis beta 1?
Pages: 1 2 3