Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: movie naming convention
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

I have a question regarding the naming convention of the movies section. At the moment I have all the movies in one dir named `movies` and each each one is in its own dir named as suggested in the documentation: `The Movie Name (YEAR)`.

This naming scheme is good for kodi but not so great when I mount the movies dir from say Windows and try to look for the newest movies. This is because I cannot arrange the dir names by the year of the movie. It the naming was done as following `(YEAR) - The Movie Name` I would be able to arrange them by the newest movies.

Is the second naming scheme acceptable to kodi to figure out the movie name?
The naming convention is for using Kodi's internal scarpers. Try adding nfos for your movies with your own naming convention and see if it is still scanned.

ie (Year) - The Movie Name.ext
and (Year) - The Movie Name.nfo

You can try https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threa...or.138497/ to pull the nfo

Cheers,
LongMan
(2021-11-24, 12:24)drimago Wrote: [ -> ]If the naming was done as following `(YEAR) - The Movie Name` I would be able to arrange them by the newest movies.

If you had scraped the movies in the Kodi video library, you could order the movies in more ways than just the year number.
Now you are only using File Modein Kodi to list your movies. That way, you can only order movies alphabetically, or depending how your rename the actual video files.
maybe I wasn't clear. In kodi all is fine with the current naming convention. But the location where the movies are stored, I also mount as a network share on a windows computer for example (for reasons other than kodi). In this location the ordering is only by dir name.

My question is: if I rename all the movie dirs using the following convention: (YEAR)-Movie Name and rescape in kodi, will it be able to find the movie name correctly? In windows the new naming scheme would allow an ordering based on the first characters which being the year would show me the latest movies at the top for example.

Is this clearer?
so what you are saying is that kodi's internal scrappers must use the `movie name (year)` convention only! and the new naming will not work and will have to resort to outside tools?
For movies, the folder name is irrelevant. As long as you have the recursion flag set in the scraper settings, then you can put as many folder depths as you like and call them what you want. It's the filename that's the important part for movies (unlike TV shows, where the folder naming is key).

If you want, you could put all your movies into one big folder and it would work. It would be an utter mess, but Kodi would work it out as long as the names of the individual movie files was correct.

The best set-up is a folder per movie, that way all the artwork, NFO (wiki) files etc are all in the right place and individual for the movie in question.

The key part though for the scraper is to get the media file name correct, then you're in business.

All the details are on the wiki - https://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files/Movies
(2021-11-25, 10:56)drimago Wrote: [ -> ]so what you are saying is that kodi's internal scrappers must use the `movie name (year)` convention only! and the new naming will not work and will have to resort to outside tools?
Yes, that is correct.

Everything to the right of (year) is discarded. So if you name your movie (year) Movie Name, then nothing will scrape because "Movie Name" has been ignored. That is the way it works.

Why? Because many users are lazy and don't clean their movie names so you end up with something like... The American (2010).BRRip.h265.10bit.Atmos.5.1.Dual.GalaxyTorrentz.mkv and if we did not clean the file name, that would never scrape.
that makes sense! thank you for clarifying this for me! I will have to think of another way!
If you wanted to keep the naming with (year) Movie Name, then you would need to create nfo files for each of the movies named this way.

It could be either a Parsing NFO NFO_files/Parsing (wiki) or a full Metadata NFO NFO_files/Movies (wiki)

But seems like a lot of work and why break the automation of Kodi in preference for a manual setup?