Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to change encoding of subtitles files?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hello guys 
i have some movies with the subtitles , the problem i am facing is that the subtitles sometimes are scrambled when i am using KODI so i usually use application called "Subtitle Edit " to change the encoding of the srt file " of the subtitle " 
can you  help  me on how can i make KODI automatically detect and change the encoding of the subtitle  file
(2021-11-25, 14:45)dart3210 Wrote: [ -> ]can you  help  me on how can i make KODI automatically detect and change the encoding of the subtitle  file

Kodi does not edit/change source files, and that includes subtitles.
If you need a different content/format of a subtitle file, then that's up to you to change. Or simply find the correct subtitle.
the subtitle  is correct  and the source  is also correct  but  when  kodi views it  on the tv screen  the letters are scrambled like  in the  following  picture 

Select the Arial font in the Kodi GUI, it support more character sets.
actually i already use the Arial font but  the characters are still like this
i think my problem is same to this one 

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=217692

but i don't have a solution so far
(2021-11-25, 14:45)dart3210 Wrote: [ -> ]can you  help  me on how can i make KODI automatically detect and change the encoding of the subtitle  file
@CastagnaIT is currently redesigning the subtitle system in Kodi. Maybe he might know off the top of his head what the problem here is.
This might already be fixed with https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/20458/files

It'd be great if you could give a whirl to one of the most recent nightlies/nexus builds
Quote:the subtitle  is correct  and the source  is also correct  but  when  kodi views it  on the tv screen  the letters are scrambled like  in the  following  picture 

i have already seen that type of weird characters and the cause usually is a wrongly encoded subtitle file,
in this case i don't know if your subtitle file can be fixed,
but:
what version of Kodi you are using?
what language should have the subtitles?
can you try play same video/subtilte with other video players and see what happen?

if the subtitle is wrongly encoded, you can try change "Character set" in Kodi->Settings->Player->Language
but this may not make any effect because it is only a fallback setting