Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Streaming aspect ratio issues with OSMC 2021.11-2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have an interesting aspect ratio problem when streaming stuff from a Dreambox type (in my case, VU+ Ultimo) cable TV receiver (on Helsinki DNA Welho cable network). Most of the video channels I have on my tuner are these days of course HD and 16:9 aspect ratio, and they come through correctly. However, for some (but not quite all) of the channels that are sent in SD 720×576 resolution (like YLE TV1, Nelonen, Paramount Network, BBC World News), the latest OSMC 2021.11-2 decides they have a 4:3 aspect ratio and shows them compressed and pillarboxed (black bars on both sides). The previous release occasionally did this (you could get it right by restarting streaming a couple of times), this current release is permanently in 4:3 for these. What has changed?
Can you test with vanilla Kodi on windows/Mac or something to see if the same issue occurs?
(2021-12-04, 12:09)phunkyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Can you test with vanilla Kodi on windows/Mac or something to see if the same issue occurs?
Unfortunately I have no Windows or MacOS installations here (linux user), but the Android Kodi installation seems to work correctly where it comes to the aspect ratio. Channels which are stuck in 4:3 on the lastest OSMC consistently work correctly. I've brought this up with the OSMC people.
(2021-12-04, 13:15)ExTechOp Wrote: [ -> ]I've brought this up with the OSMC people.

6 minutes ago, okay. Perhaps we should wait their response first, since its their software OS/package?
(2021-12-04, 13:28)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-12-04, 13:15)ExTechOp Wrote: [ -> ]I've brought this up with the OSMC people.
6 minutes ago, okay. Perhaps we should wait their response first, since its their software OS/package?
At Settings → Player → Videos → Processing disabling the setting “Allow using DRM PRIME decoder” seems to set the correct 16:9 stream playback aspect ratio. Also disabling the sub-item “allow hardware acceleration” has the same effect. Changing “PRIME Render Method” from “Direct To Plane” to “EGL” causes OSMC to consistently crash when trying to view stream videos. For now I have the PRIME hardware acceleration off.
Where would I submit an error report about this (apparently Raspberry Pi hardware driver) issue?
(2021-12-19, 16:24)ExTechOp Wrote: [ -> ]Where would I submit an error report about this (apparently Raspberry Pi hardware driver) issue?

Start with OSMC, as that's the OS you are using.
(2021-12-19, 16:50)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-12-19, 16:24)ExTechOp Wrote: [ -> ]Where would I submit an error report about this (apparently Raspberry Pi hardware driver) issue?

The response there was "it’s an upstream Raspberry Pi issue and not an OSMC issue", so where is upstream in this case?
(2021-12-19, 17:14)ExTechOp Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-12-19, 16:50)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]

The response there was "it’s an upstream Raspberry Pi issue and not an OSMC issue", so where is upstream in this case?

You could try posting on the LibreElec forum. They contribute to DRM Prime I think, or could at least guide where to raise the feedback.