Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Recently added movies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I did some looking and found a thread on this and made an advancedsettings.xml file so that I could increase the 25 limit to 150.  Not sure if the 150 was to high but I add a lot of new stuff with my system conversion.

All I want to do is view the movie posters in the movies content under recently added.  I am not to concerned with them all showing on the main screen widget, but that would be nice as well if simple.

Anyhow, I am not able to get it to work.  Here is the xml I have in the file.  This is all that I have in the xml file so I will post here.  I hope thats ok.
  I also placed the file in the userdata root. 

\\KODI\Users\kodi5\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata

This is the exact location.  I did not create any of this myself so I am not sure why it says kodi5, but everything works fine other than what I am trying to do now.

Here is my advancedsettings.xml content

<advancedsettings>
    <videolibrary>
           <allitemsonbottom>false</allitemsonbottom>  <!-- sorts the "*All" items at the bottom of the list when in Ascending order -->
            <cleanonupdate>false</cleanonupdate>  <!-- default set to false to prevent Kodi from removing items from the database while updating.  -->
            <usefasthash>true</usefasthash> <!-- defaults to true. Set to false in order to skip hashing based on the folders modification time. -->
            <recentlyaddeditems>150</recentlyaddeditems> <!-- number of recently added items. Defaults to 25 -->
            <itemseparator> / </itemseparator>  <!-- separator used for multiple artists/genres in tags. Note, this is *space* *slash* *space* -->
            <exportautothumbs>false</exportautothumbs>  <!-- export auto-generated thumbs. Defaults to false -->
            <importwatchedstate>false</importwatchedstate>  <!-- import previously exported playdate and playcount from .nfo files. Defaults to false -->
            <importresumepoint>false</importresumepoint>  <!-- import previously exported resume point from .nfo files. Defaults to false -->
            <dateadded>2</dateadded> <!-- 0 results in using the current datetime when adding a video;
                                  1 (default) results in prefering to use the files mtime (if it's valid) and only using the file's ctime if the mtime isn't valid;
                                  2 results in using the newer datetime of the file's mtime and ctime -->
      </videolibrary>
<advancedsettings>
Hi @badbones.

So you placed your advancedsettings.xml file in your Kodi userdata folder?
C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata

The content looks correct.
I just tried doing the same and it works for me.

Do you enter the movie library with the home screen movies submenu item "Recently added"?

When you create the advancedsettings.xml file you should close Kodi, create the file and open Kodi again.
Perhaps you didn't restart the program?

https://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml
Hello Gade,

I did do a restart of kodi.  It does not show anything more in the recently added than the 25 and for the main screen widget,  I think its about that as well.

The location for the kodi files is kinda odd.  I use a pc windows 10 to test the new movies and add my own custom posters and to make the nfo file.  Once that is done, I copy the who folder to my kodi mini pc thats on my av system.  This has been working fine so far with no issues.  What is odd is the path on the kodi mini pc..  I did not make the path as I used the default install.  It installled to this location.  \\KODI\Users\kodi5\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata

The folder kodi5 is odd, but everything works fine except the advanced xml file.  What I posted above is exactly whats in the file.  Should there be anything else?  I have no other advanced settings added as this was the first and only time I tried this
The home screen widgets only show 20 items and advancedsettings.xml doesn't affect that.
This cannot be changed and is designed that way to reduce system requirements.

Unless you changed some of the other lines, try only including this in advancedsettings.xml:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <videolibrary>
            <recentlyaddeditems>150</recentlyaddeditems> <!-- number of recently added items. Defaults to 25 -->
      </videolibrary>
<advancedsettings>
(2021-12-06, 13:39)Gade Wrote: [ -> ]advancedsettings.xml

I just tried that and still nothing.  Just 25 show.  I am not worried about the widget screen.  I would rather see it all in the movies section - Recently added Movies.

I am wondering if I have the advancedsettings.xml file in the right folder or if the structure is not correct like I posted before.  I will try this with my test computer and see if it works there.  I just dont have that many movies on it but I can figure out something
I tried on my test pc and no luck their either..still 25

According to wiki..the file should be placed here   %appdata%\Kodi\userdata\

The path for my KODI is this (my user name is changed to TTTT for here only)

C:\Users\TTTT\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata
Yeah, that's the correct location for the file.
Did you name the file exactly "advancedsettings.xml" with the correct structure and file extension?
Remember that it's important to enable file extensions in Windows to be able to see them (and make sure the file is not advancedsettings.xml.txt).

Othet than the above, I have no idea about this.

And it's not a skin issue?
I think you will have more luck in the Windows forum: https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59
Gabe,

Once again thank you for your help and advice.  I posted in the windows group and it was solved easily.  You and I were correct on the way I had it set up with a silly mistake that I made.  The last line should have read

</advancedsettings>

I didn't have that silly "/" and that made all the difference.  Now it works perfectly.

Since I am still on this topic, is there a limit on the number displayed?  Or is there an option to go by date added as in the last 3 or 6 months instead of a number?
(2021-12-16, 10:18)badbones Wrote: [ -> ]Gabe,

Once again thank you for your help and advice.  I posted in the windows group and it was solved easily.  You and I were correct on the way I had it set up with a silly mistake that I made.  The last line should have read

</advancedsettings>

I didn't have that silly "/" and that made all the difference.  Now it works perfectly.

Since I am still on this topic, is there a limit on the number displayed?  Or is there an option to go by date added as in the last 3 or 6 months instead of a number?

Great you got it solved.

I don't think there's a limit. You will have to experiment to find out.

If you want to sort by date added, why don't you enter the regular library and sort by date added - descending.
Go to the top menubar and click "Sort by: Date added" and "Order by: Descending".

You can create a smart playlist with the above.
Or you can create a smart playlist to show titles added the last 3 or 6 months and sort it descending.
Add that playlist to your favourites and to the Movies submenu.
Marking this thread as solved.

Please let me know if you have more issues with this.
Thanks for reporting it.