Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to automatically mute Kodi on boot?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I often find myself needing to reboot LibreELEC, either because of a freeze, or because the only extension that do backups freezes well before reaching 100% (or when it does complete, slows LibreELEC to a crawl until restarted) (two or three hard reboots per watch session isn't unusual).

Issue is, if I reboot because of a freeze, usually TV stays on, and the bleeping sound effect right after the splash screen is ear-ripping (subjectively much louder than most movie soundtracks). Plus, it's rude for the neighbours, too.

The simplest solution would be to mute on boot, or at the very least, set it at a very low volume one startup. I don't wish to disable all effects, though. What is the proper way to achieve that?
(2021-12-27, 04:34)Cubytus Wrote: [ -> ]What is the proper way to achieve that?

The simplest solution would be to fix whatever problem you have with LibreELEC in the first place. What's the hardware you are using to run LibreELEC? Perhaps a dying SDcard is your problem.
Indeed. I would solve the freeze issue first.

Beside that, I somewhat doubt that muting Kodi will resolve that beep-problem. You can only mute Kodi if it's already running and the beep might come up before the mute command is being send.

But, yeah...try it. Use the autoexec.py

https://kodi.wiki/view/Autoexec_Service

And modify it to use the internal "mute" or "SetVolume(0)" function:

https://kodi.wiki/view/List_of_built-in_functions

In case you want to use "mute" you might want to check the current state. As "mute" is a toggle between "mute" and "unmute". So, if Kodi is already muted at startup it will be unmuted. So you might want to check if it's already muted and then do nothing.

It would be saver to use "SetVolume(0)" which sets the volume to 0 percent at Kodi startup.

But as said, I doubt that this will solve your problem as Kodi normally doesn't send any kind of beep at startup beside it's a notification of an add-on which claims about an error or gives some other kind of notification.