Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Movie Subtitles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone. Quick question, how do I get subtitles to play in a movie? I do not want them on all the time but just when the movie calls for it like if someone is speaking another language. I can get the subtitles on but they are in all the time. I don’t want it like that.

Thanks for any help.
(2022-01-02, 01:30)04rex Wrote: [ -> ]how do I get subtitles to play in a movie? I do not want them on all the time but just when the movie calls for it like if someone is speaking another language
Those subtitles need to be marked as Forced in the video file or in the external subtitle file.

Where are your subtitles- as part of the video file, or external?
Thank you for your reply. They are part of the video files. So if they don’t show up that means they are not encoded as “forced”?
(2022-01-02, 02:10)04rex Wrote: [ -> ]They are part of the video files. So if they don’t show up that means they are not encoded as “forced”?
Yes, most likely they are not marked as Default or Forced.
Forced means that a subtitle will display always, regardless of your subtitle settings. This is perfect for when characters momentarily speak a different language in the movie.
Default, means they will always play, and you have to disable them. Usually used when the movie is, say, Russian, but you need English subtitles to understand the movie.

What format are your video files? mkv?
(2022-01-02, 02:35)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-01-02, 02:10)04rex Wrote: [ -> ]They are part of the video files. So if they don’t show up that means they are not encoded as “forced”?
Yes, most likely they are not marked as Default or Forced.
Forced means that a subtitle will display always, regardless of your subtitle settings. This is perfect for when characters momentarily speak a different language in the movie.
Default, means they will always play, and you have to disable them. Usually used when the movie is, say, Russian, but you need English subtitles to understand the movie.

What format are your video files? mkv?

Yes that is what I want to play. When someone speaks a different language I want them to play automatically then come off automatically when they stop.

My files are .mkv yes. Is there any way to fix this?
(2022-01-02, 03:03)04rex Wrote: [ -> ]My files are .mkv yes. Is there any way to fix this?
Yes.
Install MKVToolNix... https://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html

Click on Header Editor in the left menu
Drop your mkv file into the empty screen
Open Subtitle track
Find "Forced display" and highlight it
Over on the right, tick Add Element then select Yes for new value
Then ctrl-S to save the change

Or the other way is to drop it into the Multiplexer screen (left menu) and change the values there and reencode the file. First option is probably easier.
Thank you very much!!! I will give this a try! Thanks again.