Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: GUI resolution @4k
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, is there a way to reduce GUI resolution in kodi,    it's really sluggish @4k,    in libre/coreelec it's possible to limit Kodi gui resolution to 720/1080p,  but there's no such option on windows : (
Change the resolution in System - Display
(2022-01-02, 12:43)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Change the resolution in System - Display

well, it's necessary to change resolution to 1080p before kodi start, and changing back to 4k after closing... And what if video content is 4k.  
This is problem.   Would be  much better to limit gui resolution in kodi itself,    if it's possible
Set gui to 1080p and whitelist the 4k resolutions you need.
(2022-01-02, 15:32)MatteN Wrote: [ -> ]Set gui to 1080p and whitelist the 4k resolutions you need.

if you mean to change system resolution in kodi,   this will cause 3 different problems,  it will cause screen blinkin on each  start/exit kodi, and if kodi crash, the resolution will stay 1080p in windows,  also there's a bug with AMD (vega3) drivers, you can change to 1080 in kodi, but can't change back to 4k, ui becomes huge sized, but real resolution is not changing, I see this bug for years, and it's weird, because auto changing framerate/resolutions with whitelists is working without problems.

That's why I'm asking to find a way how to reduce resolution of just gui of kodi, this would be perfect solution
That's exactly what System - Display - Resolution is on a desktop system, as it's the resolution of the Kodi UI only.
I'm afraid there are not many other options. Especially mobile platforms function differently to a desktop system. On embedded systems, the display output processor is being presented one buffer for the GUI and one for the video. On normal desktops, the GPU has to combine video and GUI. While you could render the GUI in a separate pass, combining both is still expensive. I don't think you would see much of an performance improvement which would make this worth it, especially since the resolution switching is available.

Maybe Intel systems could support this on Linux in the future, I'm not sure.
sarbes  - thanks for explanation.  sad to hear that problem can't be solved in windows.
I have Amd. Probably, in x86 libreelec, separated buffer for gui is already used, as gui limit resolution option is avaliable.
thanks anyway
(2022-01-02, 18:16)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]That's exactly what System - Display - Resolution is on a desktop system, as it's the resolution of the Kodi UI only.
i'm a bit confused,  description of that option says that it will affect gui resolution, but despite of this, it changes display resolution, not gui.   don't know, maybe description is incorrect, or it works not right on my system...
Have you tried playing with the "Use Fullscreen Window" option to see if it performs better one way over the other?