Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Run PowerDVD21 from Kodi 19.3 for any file
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I've been looking for a solution to run PowerDVD 21 from Kodi 19.3
So far I didn't find any working solution. I tried (many) version of playercorefactory files without success.
Maybe I missed something ? Apart from editing the original file, is there anything else to do ?

I'd like to use PowerDVD to read all my files, no filter. So why is not posible to add something like "read with" in the movie menu and "double click" the file. If Windows default application to run these files is for instance PowerDVD, it just run it.
I like the PowerDVD reader but their movie library is too bad !

Thanks for your help.

Sorry for my poor english, I'm french.
Provide a sample(s) of the playercorefactory.xml you've tried.
You might want to refer to CyberLink Community Forum for support of their product.
Yes, but they tell me the same the other way !
Ping Pong

I understand it's quite complicated to setup the right parameters from both side.
I used that, a mix of what I found.
I tried also with PDVDLP.exe instead of PowerDVD.exe

But it's not possible to add in menus a right click "open with" button to just open the file link to the thumbnail ?

<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="PowerDVD" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
    <filename>C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD21\PowerDVD.exe</filename>
    <args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
    <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
    <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
    <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
    </player>
  </players>
  <rules action="prepend">
        <rule filename="*.*" player="PowerDVD"/>
    </rule>
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>
Change your rule to this:

Code:
<rule filename=".*.*." player="PowerDVD"/>

and change your path to use 

Code:
PDVDLP.exe
It doesn't launch any player anymore.
I tried with both PowerDVD and PDVDLP.exe
I use PDVD v19.  It works for me.  I replaced your PCF.xml for my own to test for you.  It didn't work until I made the changes I posted.  It should work for you too unless you have some other unmentioned conflict or special configuration.  However, you are using PDVD v21.  I highly doubt it but perhaps that version doesn't work with Kodi PCF.xml for some unknown reason.  Afterall, neither does PowerDVD.exe path which is unusual to begin with.  I used that path in the past and one day it didn't work for me either until I made the path change to PDVDLP.exe.  That continues working to this day, at least for PDVD v19 including using your rule.  And if no player is launching for you anymore, I tend to think you might have made a simple error in the code cuz that just makes no sense tbh.  At the very least, players should appear in the context menu 'play using'.  Also, a debug log may reveal something...
Hi, thanks for your answer.

What context menu 'playing with' , where is it ?
Maybe a stupid question !
Press C on your keyboard or perhaps MENU on your remote when you have a title focused in your library.  A menu will appear and one of the options is Play Using.  Selecting that will list all the players available you coded into your PCF.xml.  The rules you create for player(s) is what defaults so you don't have to use Play Using and the advantage is complete automation.  Play Using circumvents the automatic default rules allowing you to manually select a player as desired.  By seeing your player(s) using Play Using, your paths in PCF.xml should be coded correctly.  If not, your paths do not work for whatever reason(s).  Rules are secondary after establishing Kodi can even launch your external player as well as the Kodi internal VideoPlayer.  Start with confirming your player(s) are seen by Kodi using Play Using.  Next launch the title using Play Using.  If it doesn't, your path isn't correct.  If it does, and you want it to auto default by just selecting Play on a title, set up your rule for it.
(2022-01-04, 18:35)brazen1 Wrote: [ -> ]Change your rule to this:

Code:
<rule filename=".*.*." player="PowerDVD"/>

and change your path to use 

Code:
PDVDLP.exe

The receipe above worked for PowerDVD 17 also, which needed a new set of instructions to run from Matrix compared to Leia!  

Is there a way to block the pop-up stating that an external player is active. Since it is invisible (at least on my set up with a single screen) when the active player is active, and only visible when the external is no longer active, it serves little function, and it confusing.
Start with removing all this nonsense:

Code:
(2022-02-16, 18:06)brazen1 Wrote: [ -> ]Start with removing all this nonsense:

Code:

Hi Brazen1, I don't know if that suggestions was for me (to remove the external player active pop-up), but I tried it anyway :-)  Didn't change the behaviour, but guess the code wasn't needed and better to leave it out anyway, right?

Christopher