Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Artwork Pull
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Folks,
I was looking at media in my collection, and I have been noticing that when I add media to the library, it only seem to add some of the available artwork. One of the team here recommended that I use artwork dump to backup artwork to the media to use in my system. Artwork dump onlys backs up artwork that is downloaded already. Now if I go into the title in question, and I choose art, I can let it sit there for 5-6 secs and it pulls the other artwork as well. Is there a setting on the scrappers or control to download all available artwork?
Im using 19.3 and artwork beef looks to be only for older versions.

Any insights would be appreciated.
I'm not 100% following what you are after.

Yes, Artwork Dump only downloads the original version of the artwork that Kodi has cached for display in Kodi.

The Kodi scrapers download x number of artwork links for each type of artwork available. Out of these links, Kodi selects the most popular image and caches it, then Artwork Dump downloads the original. All the other links are stored and are used to display available options in the Choose Art screen.

That is as far as I got. I don't understand what you want the setting to do. Do you want all artwork downloaded- potentially hundreds of images? Why would you want that?
No I do not want all that artwork... lol that would be a mess.

Here is what I mean.

I am going to use "Army of Thieves (2021)" as an example.

When I load it into my library, and then export the library to my local file system, it only exports a few items. These items are the ones I am assuming KODI caches.
The Items I get right off of the gate are the following.

".actors" -  Folder which contains the actors thumbnails
"Army of Thieves (2021)-poster" - Main movie poster
"Army of Thieves (2021)-thumb" - Main thumbnail image
"Army of Thieves (2021)-fanart" - Movie backdrop image
"Army of Thieves (2021).nfo" - Movie information file

Now, if I go into the movie and select "Chose Art" and let it sit there for a few seconds, it will download all of the following IF AVAILABLE to the cache.

Army of Thieves (2021)-banner
Army of Thieves (2021)-clearlogo
Army of Thieves (2021)-discart
Army of Thieves (2021)-keyart
Army of Thieves (2021)-landscape

and any other available artwork.

Once I do that and use Artwork dump or Export library, all of that artwork will now save locally. Is there a way to download all of this artwork WITHOUT having to go into each title and go into "choose art"?

Hopefully that is a bit more clear?
Ok, now I understand.

(2022-01-04, 22:40)TemporalBurn Wrote: [ -> ]When I load it into my library, and then export the library to my local file system, it only exports a few items. These items are the ones I am assuming KODI caches.
The Items I get right off of the gate are the following.

".actors" -  Folder which contains the actors thumbnails
"Army of Thieves (2021)-poster" - Main movie poster
"Army of Thieves (2021)-thumb" - Main thumbnail image
"Army of Thieves (2021)-fanart" - Movie backdrop image
"Army of Thieves (2021).nfo" - Movie information file
This I experience myself. When I run an export, this is the only artwork that is exported. It has something to do with Artwork Dump. I have asked @rmrector about it, but we did not get far with it.
But I only do that to get the .actors folder. If not for that I would answer No to exporting artwork and just export the nfo file.

(2022-01-04, 22:40)TemporalBurn Wrote: [ -> ]Now, if I go into the movie and select "Chose Art" and let it sit there for a few seconds, it will download all of the following IF AVAILABLE to the cache.

You shouldn't have to do this.
If you are using Artwork Dump, then that artwork would already have been downloaded for you. You don't need to export artwork.
If Artwork is not being downloaded during the scraping process, then you have not set up Artwork Dump correctly.
(2022-01-04, 23:33)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ] 
(2022-01-04, 22:40)TemporalBurn Wrote: [ -> ]Now, if I go into the movie and select "Chose Art" and let it sit there for a few seconds, it will download all of the following IF AVAILABLE to the cache.

You shouldn't have to do this.
If you are using Artwork Dump, then that artwork would already have been downloaded for you. You don't need to export artwork.
If Artwork is not being downloaded during the scraping process, then you have not set up Artwork Dump correctly.
I am not quite following you. Before I even installed artwork dump, I would have to go through this same procedure. All of the artwork upon scrapping a title into the collection does not download. I was trying to use artwork dump as a fix but after reading it "downloads EXISTING artwork for all video library items". The way it was explained to me that "Download" is pulling the matching artwork that is already cached and saves it to the media folder. I was previously using the function of "Export" library and using it to download the artwork to the media folder. I cant remember if it was you or another team member that said the artwork that is cached has been modified and is not as good in quality as the original artwork. Artwork dump still is only pulling the artwork that is cached which is the first couple items previously listed. If I go through the procedure of "choose art", the rest of the artwork gets cached, and then artwork dump will move it to the media folder as well. 
I did not see any specific settings in artwork dump that would change this. I also went everywhere in kodi to look for a solution, which I can not find one.
(2022-01-04, 23:45)TemporalBurn Wrote: [ -> ]Artwork dump still is only pulling the artwork that is cached which is the first couple items previously listed
No Artwork Dump is downloading the original image from the scraper site. Kodi downloads the image and caches it. Artwork downloads the image and saves it to disk.

(2022-01-04, 23:45)TemporalBurn Wrote: [ -> ]artwork that is cached has been modified and is not as good in quality as the original artwork
That is correct.

Two things...
1. Can you provide screenshots of your Artwork Dump settings.
2. Can you provide a Debug Log that captures you scraping a movie where this happens. But you have to use a move that you have not scraped before because Artwork Dump has a memory of what it has already downloaded.
Ok... It took a little while but I think I have it figured out.. There are a couple different scenarios I am going to layout that have different results. The biggest issue was in the portable version of kodi, I did not have the settings level turned all the way up and there where a few more settings that made all the difference.

Scenario 1.
Brand new Movie file.

If I load a brand new file that does NOT have any accompanying file/information with it it works good. As so as I update the library, it scrapes all the artwork and artwork dump automatically downloads it. Now for testing purposes I have set the fanart download to 10 items.
ImageImage
As you can see all the artwork pulls just fine! Problem solved.

Scenario 2.
Existing Movie File.

When I scan an existing movie file which specifically has a NFO file, it will not download any of the artwork except fanart.

Now if I refresh the title, it will re-scrape the artwork. This option sucks since I would have to go to each title and manually do it. What I did is just deleted the NFO file and and let it re-scrape the title. One caveat, is I turned the overwrite files option off in artwork dump. I did this because even though it would download the high quality covers which is nice, a lot of my covers are modified to be similar in sets and or if the are 4K or 3D movies, I use photoshop and embed the text in a corner of the artwork so I can distinguish in the interface which version it is. This way it preserves the covers that I already have in the folder.

I am assuming that it has this quirk, since the scrapping looks for local info first and uses it before going out to the net for new information? And the fact that the NFO file has links to which specific artwork to use, is this the reason it did not get the others?

Well, at least for now, there is a sudo-working option to get the artwork, albeit a little extra work..
Here is the current settings I have in artwork dump.
(2022-01-05, 07:37)TemporalBurn Wrote: [ -> ]When I scan an existing movie file which specifically has a NFO file, it will not download any of the artwork except fanart.
Yep, that is not a surprise. The artwork is now coming from the nfo file, not the scraper. So open your nfo file and check what artwork links are in there. I am guessing the only links are fanart and poster.
Of course, when you Refresh and ignore local, then the nfo file is ignored and a full scrape is performed, which downloads all the correct artwork links.

If you are using a media manager, then you don't need Artwork Dump. The media manager should be downloading the artwork for you.

(2022-01-05, 07:37)TemporalBurn Wrote: [ -> ]I am assuming that it has this quirk, since the scrapping looks for local info first and uses it before going out to the net for new information? And the fact that the NFO file has links to which specific artwork to use, is this the reason it did not get the others?
Exactly.

(2022-01-05, 07:39)TemporalBurn Wrote: [ -> ]Here is the current settings I have in artwork dump.
That looks correct. The important ones are downloading after scraping, and they are enabled.
To speed up this process, I created a batch file. 

del /s /q /f x:\*.nfo

Just change "x:\" to any main directory or limited subdirectory. Take the text and past it into a .txt file, and save it as "name".bat file. move a copy of that file with the CORRECT directory line into said directory and execute it. This batch file removed all of the .NFO files and allowed the entire directory of movies to be re-scraped.
One issue I am having though is I keep getting Service Temporarily Unavailable. Is there a limit on how many titles you can get at one time? I did not have this issue on doing a few titles, but it seems that it does not like do big batches of them...

Any insight?Image