Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MySQL Password
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm getting MySQL error notification and wanted to update MySQL on my Kodi box. 
I've downloaded MySQL Installer and asked it to upgrade MySQL but the last step asks you to login as the root user.  I have no idea what the password is for this.  I have tried the usual admin, root and blank but no luck.  Is there an config file somewhere where the password is stored or is there a way to retrieve it.

I have seen articles on resetting MySQL root password.  But if i reset it Kodi will no longer be able to connect using the old password.
I've not been able to find any information on changing the Kodi data connection string should the password need resetting.

Can someone tell me how i can find the current Kodi MySQL Password or explain how i can change the password in Kodi if i need to change it in MySQL ?

Erick
(2022-01-05, 11:43)ErickTreetops Wrote: [ -> ]I have no idea what the password is for this.
Chances you haven't set/changed it yet, although it is advised after every MySQL install. I don't have current experiences with the Windows installer for MySQL, so I'm not sure when the password for root is being asked.

How much do you know of SQL queries? Because if the kodi database user has full rights (as given by default in the Kodi wiki), then you should be able to (re)set the root's password of the MySQL server.

(2022-01-05, 11:43)ErickTreetops Wrote: [ -> ]I have seen articles on resetting MySQL root password.  But if i reset it Kodi will no longer be able to connect using the old password.

The root database user and the kodi database user are two different 'people'.
So changing the root password will likely have no affect on the kodi user, unless you made them the same.

What you should do is create a full mysqldump backup of the current Kodi databases (video + music) while you can, just in case access totally gets blocked. PHPMyAdmin can help you with that.