Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 4k Movie: Video Stuttering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just bought an LG C1 OLED to swap out for my old 1080p OLED. I have a large movie collection ripped via makemkv. Most are 1080p which play fine. Now that I have the new tv I wanted to check out my 4k movies.

I noticed immediate stuttering in the videos played. I am thinking this is an issue with settings but I havent played around with the kodi settings since setting it up years ago.

Anyone got any ideas?

Here is some info on the setup:
LG C1 77”
NAS: Synology DS918+
Computer running Kodi: Intel 9600k, nvidia GTX 970
All networking handled through Ubiquiti dream machine pro. Computer is hardwired to network so no wireless issues.
Nice C1 but without a proper debug log, not sure what the issues are, software versions etc. Might want to go through some of the other posts and see if something pops up, you are moving a lot more pixels, bandwidth, networking and handshaking are all possible suspects.
  ----
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
I will post a log here soon. Thanks for the post and the compliment.

I did so some searching but nothing stuck out at me. I tried changing audio from 7.1 to 5.1 in case that was causing issues. My friend uses plex and he said 7.1 audio was causing issues like mine. Unfortunately this did not change my experience.
I seem to be having a problem posting the log. I cant seem to locate the Kodi logfile uploader. I dont remember having this problem in the past. I looked at the advanced method and it is slightly confusing to me. Also to note. When running the debugging the 4 cores on my PC seem to be almost maxed out at 95%+
If the debug log (wiki) is not too big, you can simply paste the contents into https://paste.kodi.tv/ and save the upload, and then copy/paste the new URL into this thread.
I'm going to say straight away, it's that 970 with 3.5 gigs ram and not proper h265 decoder on it, so your cpu is decoding the video .. the 4k ones and that's going to be more than likely a little bit rough on the cpu.  Also, that card is only hdmi 1.2 so it doesn't have the bandwith to support your new TV.
Let me know if this works.

https://paste.kodi.tv/awokecojey

When running the debugging mode. The script comes up at the top. It shows a steady 30fps but the 4 cpu cores are maxed out. The video is noticeably choppy for 30fps and I am not sure why my cpu would show maxed out just playing a 4k video file. Let me know what you all think. Thanks for the views.
(2022-02-06, 03:46)spencerjford Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to say straight away, it's that 970 with 3.5 gigs ram and not proper h265 decoder on it, so your cpu is decoding the video .. the 4k ones and that's going to be more than likely a little bit rough on the cpu.  Also, that card is only hdmi 1.2 so it doesn't have the bandwith to support your new TV.

The HTPC running Kodi has 16g of ram. I wouldnt think the 970 would be the bottleneck just playing back 4k but I could be wrong. This is on a windows 10PC. So if what you are saying is correct, the hdmi output is the culprit most likely?

Edit: sorry misread your post. You are saying the ram for the video card. Sorry, duh my bad. Is the video card really the bottleneck on just 4k playback?
(2022-02-06, 03:46)spencerjford Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to say straight away, it's that 970 with 3.5 gigs ram and not proper h265 decoder on it, so your cpu is decoding the video .. the 4k ones and that's going to be more than likely a little bit rough on the cpu.  Also, that card is only hdmi 1.2 so it doesn't have the bandwith to support your new TV.

What would you recommend for a minimum video card to support what I need? Funny I was just in mircrocenter today and they had video cards in stock from 3060's all the way to 3080Ti's. I should have bought the 3070 which I have been wanting but I need a new motherboard and CPU.
Well I picked up a new video card today. I guess it gives me an excuse to upgrade the whole system now. We will see if the video card fixes my problem. If not I’d appreciate if someone could check out my log posted a couple posts up and let me know if they see any other issues.
I should have responded a bit earlier, but clearly I've forgotten user priorities in this case, and I apologize for that. The half way measure would be to try, standalone players like VLC or MCP-HC to see if there would be the possibility that an external player would fit (ERROR: DXVA would have suggested software rendering). Given you have already upgraded the hardware, the issue should be resolved with a 2.1 hdmi connection.
RTX 3070Ti fixed the problem. No stuttering at all on 4k plays and cpu cores under 20%.

Thanks all!!! This has been great!!
Thread marked solved.
Quote:21:17:34.414 T:1596 NOTICE: Starting Kodi (17.6 Git:20171114-a9a7a20). Platform: Windows NT x86 32-bit
21:17:34.414 T:1596 NOTICE: Using Release Kodi x32 build
21:17:34.414 T:1596 NOTICE: Kodi compiled Dec 10 2017 by MSVC 190024215 for Windows NT x86 32-bit version 10.0 (0x0A000000)

Now you can update Kodi to more recent version and use x64 build  Blush
(2022-02-07, 11:52)jogal Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:21:17:34.414 T:1596 NOTICE: Starting Kodi (17.6 Git:20171114-a9a7a20). Platform: Windows NT x86 32-bit
21:17:34.414 T:1596 NOTICE: Using Release Kodi x32 build
21:17:34.414 T:1596 NOTICE: Kodi compiled Dec 10 2017 by MSVC 190024215 for Windows NT x86 32-bit version 10.0 (0x0A000000)

Now you can update Kodi to more recent version and use x64 build  Blush

Why fix what isnt broke? Just kidding. I do need to get on that.