Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Portable kodi overwrites uninstall registry entries.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Observation

When I install Kodi it creates registry entries at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Kodi
That's cool. I can then uninstall it from Programs and Features etc.

If I then install a portable Kodi, which I have to do because Kodi treats TV shows differently to movies. As in the offline and online media show twice in TV shows with no way to tell which is which. So I have to run two copies of Kodi, one for offline media and the other for online. Makes for a lot of extra maintenance.

For offline media I have to install it as a portable install, obviously. but what happens is that it writes the same registry entries, overwriting the ones for the copy that was actually "installed".

To workaround this I have to install the portable version first, then install the "proper" version second. Or restore the registry entries from a backup to overwrite those created by the portable install.
I don't see why you need to run 2 installs to do what you want, should be perfectly possible to separate the 2 types with Smartplaylists or Custom Nodes. Although I'm not clear exactly what you mean by offline media.
FWIW I only run portable mode and just delete the kodi folder when I want to remove it.  I guess doing a default install would protect your data if you have multiple accounts/users on your windows system.

scott s.